Default Rights of a High School Mother and the Boyfriend Who Left Her

Ohio: What rights does the father of the baby of an unwed highschool mother. The two were dating but when he found out she might be pregnant he broke up with her and never spoke to her again. Now three months later he says he wants to be involved and if the mother wont let him he wants full custody. I was just curious what rights the father actually has towards the child in this case. The are both over eighteen so both legal adults. The mother does not want him to have any part of her childs life. He abondened her as soon as he found out there was even a possibilty she was pregnant and left in nasty manner. She does not want him back in her life after that but was not sure what rights the father had so we decided to look around so she knew what his rights were so she can decide how to handel the situation

Default Re: Rights of a highschool mother and the boyfriend who left her: Ohio

Q: I was just curious what rights the father actually has towards the child in this case.

A: The same rights as the mother.

Q: The mother does not want him to have any part of her childs life.

A: Too bad.

Default Re: Rights of a highschool mother and the boyfriend who left her: Ohio

Unless his paternity was established by acknowledgement when the child was born, he would have to establish paternity before he can seek custody or court-ordered visitation.

Default Re: Rights of a High School Mother and the Boyfriend Who Left Her

Quote Quoting phsuphstca
    View Post
    Ohio: What rights does the father of the baby of an unwed highschool mother. The two were dating but when he found out she might be pregnant he broke up with her and never spoke to her again. Now three months later he says he wants to be involved and if the mother wont let him he wants full custody. I was just curious what rights the father actually has towards the child in this case. The are both over eighteen so both legal adults. The mother does not want him to have any part of her childs life. He abondened her as soon as he found out there was even a possibilty she was pregnant and left in nasty manner. She does not want him back in her life after that but was not sure what rights the father had so we decided to look around so she knew what his rights were so she can decide how to handel the situation
    Has the child been born yet? If not, then AFTER the child is born Dad will file for paternity/support and custody. IF he is the father then he will be awarded shared custody with joint legal. A support order will be issued. Best if your daughter gets over her tiff...If this man is Dad then she will have to deal with him for the next 18+ years...It will be in the child's best interest for her/his parents to act like adults and not selfish, immature teens. Have daughter take a parenting class and read up on the custody/support statutes for her state. It will teach her a lot about what is in store for her future. As the mother to this teen you should encourage your daughter to investigate these issues herself...It is HER legal situation and she should be the one asking the questions.

Quote Quoting Baystategirl
    View Post
    Has the child been born yet? If not, then AFTER the child is born Dad will file for paternity/support and custody. IF he is the father then he will be awarded shared custody with joint legal. A support order will be issued. Best if your daughter gets over her tiff...If this man is Dad then she will have to deal with him for the next 18+ years...It will be in the child's best interest for her/his parents to act like adults and not selfish, immature teens. Have daughter take a parenting class and read up on the custody/support statutes for her state. It will teach her a lot about what is in store for her future. As the mother to this teen you should encourage your daughter to investigate these issues herself...It is HER legal situation and she should be the one asking the questions.
    I'm not the mother of the girl. Im just a friend. I told her I would help her look around cause i figured two heads are better than one. and she has not had the baby yet I was just asking now because the father just started texting her out of the blue saying all of this stuff and thought be a good idea to find out what rights he has so she can decided how to deal with him.

Quote Quoting phsuphstca
    View Post
    I'm not the mother of the girl. Im just a friend. I told her I would help her look around cause i figured two heads are better than one. and she has not had the baby yet I was just asking now because the father just started texting her out of the blue saying all of this stuff and thought be a good idea to find out what rights he has so she can decided how to deal with him.
    Sorry...I don't know why I had the impression you were the STBM mother!!

Her best course of action is to learn the child custody statutes/case laws and to give up her anger at the father. She could join a forum like this and peruse the posts that are for her state...And a parenting class will help too..

Let her know that she does NOT get to dictate his visitation rights. Once she decided to get pregnant and give birth, that child became his child as well.

1. Sponsored Links