Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Why do some people get all the luck?

As infractions go, jaywalking is minor. It's not the sort of thing anyone expects will lead to scrapes, bruises and a night in jail. But what happened to Benjamin De Jong and his girlfriend after a Mariners game Sept. 15 is more than a simple case of jaywalking.

"Police brutality is more like it," contends the 22-year-old, who was visiting from British Columbia when he got a lasting memory of Seattle, courtesy of police.

De Jong admits he and his girlfriend jaywalked across First Avenue in Pioneer Square -- just like a throng always does after a sporting event. They were on the heels of friends who forged into traffic just ahead of them that evening, heading to the J&M Cafe.

"As we were 5 to 10 feet from the curb, an unmarked vehicle sped toward us," De Jong said. "He hammered on his brakes. Two guys jumped out wearing dark clothing."

Put yourself in De Jong's shoes. One second you are about to join friends at a pub after going to see a Mariners game. The next, you're terrified about who might be storming out of a strange van just feet away. Thugs? Thieves? A driver with road rage?

Nope. Try cops -- though De Jong insists he and his girlfriend couldn't tell the men were officers. "They never said to us, 'Stop, this is Seattle police,' or that they wanted to talk to us," De Jong said. "You know how cops in movies show badges? Nothing like that happened. I thought they wanted to fight."

De Jong is considering a lawsuit -- as a matter of principle. His aim: better policing. He wonders how many others have been roughed up by overzealous officers.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/jamies..._robert09.html
    As for as I'm concerned there shouldn't anything to consider. I'd sue them once just for kicks and sue them again to make sure I get enough. Seriously isn't there any kind of mental check done on these people or they just give anyone a badge and a gun? It seems others have that kind of luck and they had better sue and sue for max amount otherwise IMO a person who doesn't sue a cop and lets them off is no better than the worst of cops.

Default Re: Why do some people get all the luck?

Because they're lucky!

What is the normal procedure in California, when non-standard-uniform police stop someone?

cdwjava would know as thats his state and if he happens to see this thread AND read the article no doubt in his mind the cops were 200% right and the people were guility cause they were jaywalking.

Quote Quoting CrC32
    View Post
    cdwjava would know as thats his state and if he happens to see this thread AND read the article no doubt in his mind the cops were 200% right and the people were guility cause they were jaywalking.
    That's a highly presumptiuous thing to say... cdwjava may be a cop, but he doesn't advocate cops abusing their power. The people may have been jaywalking, but I doubt he would think they deserved that kind of brutality.

De Jong is considering a lawsuit -- as a matter of principle. His aim: better policing. He wonders how many others have been roughed up by overzealous officers.

Legal malpractice insurers strongly discourage lawyers from taking cases where the plaintiff is claiming some kind of principle.

The reason is simple: There is no way to tell when the case is successful.

I'd sue them once just for kicks and sue them again to make sure I get enough.

Any lawyer who takes a case with a plaintiff's attitude like that is risking his license.

Quote Quoting cloudnine
    View Post
    That's a highly presumptiuous thing to say... cdwjava may be a cop, but he doesn't advocate cops abusing their power.
    I beg to differ. I have seen many of his posts and his attitude always seems to favor the police side in just about every post he replies to. An example would be with max in the parking lot. Another would be look at the egging on homecoming thread for example where he said he would have arrested everyone..why? Because he likes to abuse his power and he likes to see cops abuse their power.

I don't mind police abusing their power either cause thats where the cash market is, one screw up on their end and I just got my winning lotto ticket to a multi million dollar lawsuit. I also wouldn't settle out of court with the police for a lesser sum, I would want my full jackpot value.

I don't have time to search for those threads (especially when you don't even hint at where they're located).

Quote Quoting cloudnine
    View Post
    I don't have time to search for those threads (especially when you don't even hint at where they're located).
    Sorry here you go, this is the tread about Max which his video recording was put on the news and got the cop fired, Look at cdwjava posts in that thread, he was 200% behind the cop.

http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26519

And here is the egging thread.

http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?p=136437

Quote Quoting CrC32
    View Post
    Sorry here you go, this is the tread about Max which his video recording was put on the news and got the cop fired, Look at cdwjava posts in that thread, he was 200% behind the cop.

http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26519

And here is the egging thread.

http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?p=136437
    Nobody.... let me repeat that for you, CrC32 NOBODY was for that kid, Maxima Lover to pull his juvenile tricks to set up the officer and attempt to have him fired.
    Just so you don't show how stupid you really are- the officer was fired for not following protocol- checking to make sure his carcam was in working order.

You, little twerp, are in the minority. So get lost. We don't cater to creeps like you. Sell your stupidity on places where you are welcome like RIDL, hermes-press and other publications trying to overthrow the government.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast