Default Changing my Daughter's Name Informally, Then Legally

Hi there,
    I am divorced with one daughter (3 years old) and I want to add my maiden name on the end of her surname so that she becomes: "Daughter FatherSurname MotherSurname", which I am reverting to shortly.

My ex won't agree to this so I know I have to go to court, but I want to change it informally to start with as I have been told that the court would look at the fact that she has been known by my surname for some time and would be less willing to change it back.

1. Is this true?
    2. My nursery have said they can't even affect an informal surname change without her father's consent - this is contrary to what I have been told.
    3. What should I do to convince the nursery to effect the informal name change? And
    4. How likely is the court to add on my surname to my daughter's name so that I can maintain a name link with her?

I hope someone can help as I really want to do this early on so it isn't such a big change for her as she is still very young.

Default Re: Changing my Daughter's Name Informally, Then Legally

Quote Quoting lovingmum
    View Post
    Hi there,
    I am divorced with one daughter (3 years old) and I want to add my maiden name on the end of her surname so that she becomes: "Daughter FatherSurname MotherSurname", which I am reverting to shortly.

My ex won't agree to this so I know I have to go to court, but I want to change it informally to start with as I have been told that the court would look at the fact that she has been known by my surname for some time and would be less willing to change it back.

1. Is this true?
    2. My nursery have said they can't even affect an informal surname change without her father's consent - this is contrary to what I have been told.
    3. What should I do to convince the nursery to effect the informal name change? And
    4. How likely is the court to add on my surname to my daughter's name so that I can maintain a name link with her?

I hope someone can help as I really want to do this early on so it isn't such a big change for her as she is still very young.
    You can't bypass the legal system to get your way. If you pull this, Dad will have cause to file for contempt. To expect the daycare provider to risk a lawsuit because you are too immature to realize that you daughter will do just fine with her LEGAL name is absurd.

Default Re: Changing my Daughter's Name Informally, Then Legally

"I have been told that the court...." Told by whom?

If you were to go to court to petition for a name change, and it came out that you deliberately went against the father's wishes and attempted to informally change the child's name, you would risk the judge inferring that you are trying to alienate the child from her father, and that you don't respect the court's authority and orders. That's not a good position to be in when you go to court, when you're trying to convince the court that the name change is in the child's best interest.

As you note, you have not changed your own name yet. You have the option of maintaining a "name link" by continuing to use your married name. I understand why you would like to revert to your maiden name, but changing your child's name is not a decision you get to make unilaterally, nor is breaking your child's "name link" with her father.

1. Sponsored Links