Default Collection Agency is Refusing to Accept the Final Payment

Please bare with the length but I am at a point of desperation...

I had a Bank of America credit card account charged off to NCO for 2800 last year. I was making a payment of 200 dollars on the 20th of each month to NCO for every month consistently for the past 13 months via posted dated checks. Finally wittled the balance down to 250 and this month I was to pay off the account in full and victory at last... if it were only that easy. Come to find out a few days before I am to make my final payment of 252, NCO claims that my account has been recalled by Bank of America and that they no longer have my account (all this by telephone, nothing in writing). So I naturally call Bank of America. BofA claims that they do not have my account, it was never recalled, and NCO is assigned to it. Well that's kind of funny. I have been back and forth between the two agencies, talked to probably everyone in the stinkin office and the above story is all they can tell me. No one from either party can seem to help me or explain to me where my account is, why it's closed etc. The last word was that NCO is trying to have it reopened. They need to "research" it. This was a week and a half ago. As of today it is still closed. Meanwhile they tell me that I am not able to pay my balance. They cannot accept payment on a closed account. When I call BofA and ask if I can pay them the final payment they say no because "NCO has my account". I have this debt that I want to pay as of 2 weeks ago and they are telling me I can't pay it. Meanwhile interest is accrueing a plenty... I have made BofA aware of the situation with NCO and that I want to pay. What is going on with this account? Is someone trying to pull a fast one on me so that they stretch out the length of this debt and I end up paying more money in the end due to interest? Do I need a lawyer? Also something interesting... the balance due according to NCO is 252. I have kept all monthly statements and payments since the day I received the letter from NCO stating that I owed them 2800. When I talk to BofA they say that my balance is 550. All payments that I have made to NCO are up to date in BofA's system. Why are these two figures different? I informed NCO of this discrepancy. They say that I will have to pay the 550 in order to pay the balance in full. I can't imagine that this isn't violating some sort of fdcpa law. I am considering a lawyer but do not have the funds. Is this something that may be necessary? Any advice on my situation is greatly appreciated! I don't understand the relationship of creditor/collection agency and who is really respondsible for the account. Everyone I talk to says that "there is nothing I can do" but there has to be someone that can help me resolve this. Maybe an attorney...?

Thanks.

Default Re: Collection Agency is Refusing to Accept the Final Payment

And you're in what state?

PA. Thanks...

Not that I had any good answers for you, but now you reveal that you're in a state which has chosen not to put an official, free version of its statutes online, which makes it hard to find governing legal authority.

Check your credit report. See who is presently listed as being responsible for the collection - BOA or NCO. Then hammer whomever is claiming not to be responsible with the fact that they are reporting themselves to be the responsible party.
    Quote Quoting littlefish
    ...the balance due according to NCO is 252. I have kept all monthly statements and payments since the day I received the letter from NCO stating that I owed them 2800. When I talk to BofA they say that my balance is 550. All payments that I have made to NCO are up to date in BofA's system. Why are these two figures different? I informed NCO of this discrepancy. They say that I will have to pay the 550 in order to pay the balance in full.
    "They" being NCO or BOA?

Actually now that I look back at my "call log" both agencies on several occasions had said that the account would not be paid in full unless I paid the 550. I think that depended on who I got on the phone however. But let me throw another log in the fire. I just got off the phone with BoA. I got in touch with a supervisor that I had spoken to before and Ms. Supervisor said I could mail my payment of 252 to a BoA address (not a p.o. box). She said that the payment would establish my account as "paid in full". Sounds too easy to be true. Does this seem legit? At this point I'm not sure if I have any other options. If I mail this payment is there anything I can do in forsight to protect myself? I would obviously send certified, return receipt requested etc. The most important thing for me is to have these people report to the credit bureaus as "paid in full". I will check out my credit report as to who is reporting. Thanks very much.

See if you can get that person to send (or fax) you confirmation in writing.

1. Sponsored Links