Default Roommate Commits in Writing but Backs Out on the Night of Move-In

I was looking for two roommates for a house in CA. I was contacted by a woman who subsequently looked at the property and said she would "get back to me". A couple days later, she did stating she and her friend wanted the both rooms. Because I was renting two rooms it was favorable to rent to her so I told her she and her friend could have the rooms and set a time to sign the lease the following morning. I then removed the ad and contacted the other people who were interested in the unit approx 20 (this was on the last day of the month) and told them I had found roommates and they should find housing elsewhere.

12 hours later (9pm) I was texted by the woman saying she had changed her mind. I immediately re-posted the ads and contacted the people I had previously told the room wasn't available but have not had a single response (Prior to the end of month I was getting 5-10 inquiries a day) in 24 hours. It is obvious that I will be unable to rent the rooms for another month. Even though she did not sign a lease, didn't she enter the contract verbally, having left voice mails and text messages stating she wanted the rooms?

What is my recourse? Thanks!

Default Re: Roommate Commits in Writing but Backs Out on the Night of Move-In

I won't guess as to whether the text message could be construed as a binding contract, as I haven't seen it. You are free to try to argue to a small claims court that it was a valid contract, and that you are thus entitled to damages in the form of lost rent for the month during which you were unable to find another tenant.

1. Sponsored Links