Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Detrimental Reliance

(In some states, even expending the cost of moving may not be sufficient to create a "detrimental reliance" claim.)

Quote Quoting BOR
    View Post
    From research years ago for personal study, GA did not even recognize a Public Policy exception to at will employment. I do not know if this has changed?
    You are correct & it has not changed - Ga. does not have a public policy exception to at-will employment.

According to an article at 'www.spsk.com/Articles/empobligations.cfm'
    the at will employees doctrine does not apply, in New Jersey, until the employee has actually begun work at the job.

Another article, www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2001/01/art1full.pdf , has a chart on page 2 which shows that my state, Georgia, does not recognize this exception. Since the first article was written 5 years ago I was inquiring whether Georgia had changed their position since it's writing.

Quote Quoting bavage
    View Post
    According to an article at 'www.spsk.com/Articles/empobligations.cfm'
    the at will employees doctrine does not apply, in New Jersey, until the employee has actually begun work at the job.

Another article, www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2001/01/art1full.pdf , has a chart on page 2 which shows that my state, Georgia, does not recognize this exception. Since the first article was written 5 years ago I was inquiring whether Georgia had changed their position since it's writing.

I see where you came up the 3 exceptions now, all common law probably. There are of course others, statutorily, which I was eluding to besides those three. Title 7 and state parallel laws, whistleblower statutes, age discrimination, etc.

Some jurisdictions even have laws which forbid an employer from refusing to hire a smoker, of course proving such a claim by an employee is always thier burden in court, and very difficult.

There are a plethora of discrimination laws out there as far as hiring terms/conditions of employment and termination.

Quote Quoting Betty3
    View Post
    You are correct & it has not changed - Ga. does not have a public policy exception to at-will employment.

According to the OP's link, 43 states DO recognize a PP exception. Shame on the other 7.

Doctor: Nurse, help falsify my documents for state tax purposes or I will fire you.

Nurse: No I won't.

Doctor: You are fired.

A legal termination since a PP exception is not a valid Cause of Action to sue for wrongful discharge in the 7.

Ga. still doesn't have a public policy exception (2007) though most do.

Quote Quoting Betty3
    View Post
    Ga. still doesn't have a public policy exception (2007) though most do.

The Commissioners on Uniform state laws enacted the Model employment termination act in the 90's, but NO state has adopted it.

I came across this years ago when studying employment law. I don't focus on such in my personal studies much anymore, mainly police/constitutional law. I'm rusty, but I soldier on.

http://www.nccusl.org/Update/uniform...cts-s-meta.asp

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2