Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Getting Emancipated or Moving Out

To keep it short, I want to move out. My mother is mentally ill and refuses medication, and therefore I'm treated extremely unfairly. I'm a good kid, yet ever since I got a boyfriend I've found myself grounded almost constantly. There's been phsyical abuse in teh past, and still she screams and cusses at me, insulting and tearing me down. What would it take for me to get out of this house? I do have a job.. but no car or license. I've always been very responsible, and have been seriously considering this and adding up the costs. I plan on having two jobs this summer, with my own job of dog grooming on the side.

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: Emancipated/Moving Out?

Yours in a CPS issue not an emancipation one

Quote Quoting panther10758
    View Post
    Yours in a CPS issue not an emancipation one
    What is CPS, and why couldn't I get emancipated? I know without physical abuse its hard to prove any emotional abuse, but isn't my situation at least somewhat bad enough that if I have a job, have a place to live, still going to school (and am straight A student), and will be responsible for myself.. couldn't I get emancipated? I wouldn't see why not...

panther10758 Guest

I plan on having two jobs
    Emancipations are not based on this

View Post
    Emancipations are not based on this
    I have read that they are based on whether or not you are capable and responsible enough to support yourself. Have I read wrong?

panther10758 Guest

Ohio has no emancipation law. Neither a minor (< 18) nor the minor's parent is able to file a petition for emancipation.

A minor can achieve independence from a parent in two ways:

1. Lawful marriage; or

2. Successful enlistment in any branch of the Armed Forces.

However, in the event of divorce or annulment, or discharge from the Armed Forces before the age of 18, custody of the minor will automatically revert to the parent who previously had custody over the minor.

It seems as though emancipation is not an issue at all in your state

View Post
    Ohio has no emancipation law. Neither a minor (< 18) nor the minor's parent is able to file a petition for emancipation.

A minor can achieve independence from a parent in two ways:

1. Lawful marriage; or

2. Successful enlistment in any branch of the Armed Forces.

However, in the event of divorce or annulment, or discharge from the Armed Forces before the age of 18, custody of the minor will automatically revert to the parent who previously had custody over the minor.

It seems as though emancipation is not an issue at all in your state
    So there is absolutely nothing I can do to get out? Ohio law system must be incredibly stupid to not have emancipation available for those in situations like or worse than my own.

So there's absolutely no way? Can't even change legal guardians or anything? I'd be moving in with a friend adn her grandma. Her grandma is willing to take me in. Could I change legal guardians? Something? anything?

panther10758 Guest

Abuse situations call for CPS (as I told you) not emancipation

panther10758 Guest

A change of guardian custody etc must be done through courts and woud require your parents consent

View Post
    A change of guardian custody etc must be done through courts and woud require your parents consent
    Even in cases of emotional abuse and unfair treatment? If so, somethign must be done to change these laws. I can't imagine how many children must endure abuse for years because of Ohio's lack of laws. Actually, I'm becoming quite disgusted with how my state is so far behind and inconsiderate of the children out there that are suffering because the people taht should love them most are not doing their job.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast