Default Modification of Child Support

My ex and I divorced in 2003. AL court awarded $870--a year and half later I was promoted and stationed in Korea-she asked for increase ..i did to $1000. A couple years later she wanted $1500 after my next promtion- we agreed to $1300, I was in Iraq then. Last year I remarried she asked for $1500. A lawyer told me to stop and go back to the original agreement and let the courts decide because she wont ever be satisfied. We now both live in Ga. My ex has been thru 4 new cars in the last 4 years-and I buy most of all the kids clothes and toys, and she pays no daycare-my daughter is 14 so she leaves them home alone. I am now about to leave Iraq again- she has thus served me since I been here for more money. I am also about to get a reenlistment bonus. In preparation for this much dreaded return, can you offer me any advice? Should I hire a lawyer or does the court use a standard formula? Can she get some of my bonus? will my generosity throughout the years be considered?

Default Re: Question from Newby

Is jurisdiction over child support now in Georgia? (Did she serve papers for modification through the Georgia courts?) Georgia child support worksheets are available here,

Default Re: Modification of Child Support

Hello Robocop! Sounds like you had a child with the wrong person. Here is what I would do. Don't ever let this woman know what your thinking. Play dumb & happy as you prepare to fight her in court. Once you take her to court, avoid telling the judge about all the extras. The judge does not need to know that your ex buys new cars every year. That is obviously an attempt on your part to show what your ex is about. That can backfire. Stick to the facts of what your ex is asking for, & tell the judge that you have done all that you could do for her in the past. Stick to the facts!!! Let your ex destroy herself in court. People like your ex are generally low in character. They always slip at the wrong moment. Good luck Robo.

Thanks for the advice, I will use it. She first asked me to send her and her lawyer my pay statements and W-2s, but I refused. Then she served me for a pretrial hearing and it was in Augusta, where she lives. I live 3 hours away. Do I have to drive down there for it? I always thought she had to file in my county. Lastly, is a lawyer worth it? They range from $2000-$4000 and I'm septical if they can save me that much money, whereas, it would be more profitable for me in the long run. For example, if I'm in court again 2 years from now and the lawyer saved me $100 a month for 24 months, it won't be worth it I had to pay him $3000 to do it.

If you are summoned to court, you go to court.

I doubt that a lawyer is going to save you money over what the guidelines indicate you should pay. Whether or not it's worth it? That's really your determination to make.

Lawyers generally simply write up paperwork documents for you. You are paying them to do something you could do yourself. You need only to keep doing what your doing to make your next move. Go on forums like this one & ask tons of questions. Also ask your case worker. Get to know your case worker & dig for information.

1. Sponsored Links