Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: DWSL either number 2 or 3

Or another witness that saw him driving that could attest to him driving but there isn't one since there was only one officer in the car and no one on the road stopped to assist the officer.

Default Re: DWLS either number 2 or 3

Moburke's everything you have said I have already struggled with and this is why I am in a confussed situation. I keep thinking that the officer must have some sort of unrefutable evidence, but I do not know what it is that he may have.

Quote Quoting alk10
    View Post
    Moburke's everything you have said I have already struggled with and this is why I am in a confussed situation. I keep thinking that the officer must have some sort of unrefutable evidence, but I do not know what it is that he may have.
    I guess I just don't understand where you're coming from. You're saying that you're willing to risk your education and your future job to help him when HE knew that he was driving illegally, yet he admitted to driving the vehicle to the police officer.

Sorry, I meant to quote the previous post.

Default Re: DWSL either number 2 or 3

Quote Quoting alk10
    View Post
    I'm saying that he too must follow the Michigan rules of evidence. Evidence has to be authenticated. An officer's word does not authenticate it. A signiture or an admission in court would work.
    While you just learned all of this in law school, he learned it a long time ago.

What law school? I used to babysit for UMich Law School's assistant Dean when I was in college at Uof M.

No I do not want to risk it all, you understand perfectlly, that is why I'm trying to figure out ways to keep what was said at the scene out (as well as me out of it) and ways to see if the cop was acting in bad faith. This is petty but we were in an area of Michigan that is predominately wealthy upper class whites and we are a mixed couple. Him being black and me white. If the officer really wanted to make some arrests he could have tried to get me on knowingly allowing someone to drive while license suspended 9which would be a misdemenor as well) but he didn't even ask if I knew. I didn't know like I said but he still could have tried. I just don't understand why the cop said he talked his way into the arrest like he wasn't able to arrest in the first place.

Default Re: DWLS and Switching Seats

UDM law School

Another question why was bail only for the amount of the outstanding DNR warrant? Shouldn't there have been some left over for the DWLS arrest? I have no incite on this what so ever so I won't refute any answers on this

Testimony IS evidence ... the officer can testify as to his observations. Your boyfriend won't know whether a report was written or if any notes still exist until his attorney makes a request for discovery prior to trial.

If an officer's observations were insufficient to constitute evidence in MI, then how on Earth would they ever be able to make any traffic violations stick?

If I stopped you, you might not see ME take any notes, either. That's because I might have activated my audio recorder that I carry on me - THAT recording constitutes my "notes" in many instances. I then relate those notes to the report.

This is not that big a crime. However, perjury can be ... if you lie to protect your boyfriend, you are taking a huge gamble with your future. It's just not worth it.

- Carl

Thank You. You just gave me some of the information I was looking for. Does anyone know if Michigan cops carry voice recorders on them?

I know the officer's word is valued has highly creditable, but to that same extent there are many officers that abuse that privilege.

Again I ask about the bail issue why was there no bail/bond for the specific offense?

If it were his 3rd offense then he should have been arrested and bail should have bail/bond issued to that offense right? I don't know.

By the way I have no intention to lie. That is why I am trying to avoid the court proceedings so I don't have to put my life before his.

Use of recording technology will vary by department. Often there will be video in the police vehicle, with some variance at how good the audio will be once the officer is away from the vehicle.

Why are you complaining that no arrest occurred? Most people prefer it that way.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast