Default First Time Possession of Marijuana, No Prior Record, in Michigan

my sister was charged with possession of marijuana. she cooperated with local police and handed everything over without incident. she had a quarter ounce and an eighth in seperate bags. they also got scales which she keeps just so she doesnt get ripped off. ive talked to local asst. police chief and he has told me that she shouldnt have much to worry about, but its my sister and im worried. im just sick to my stomach to watch her go through this ordeal and be able to do anything for her. do you see jail time in her future?

Default Re: First Time Possession of Marijuana, No Prior Record, in Michigan

It sounds like, despite the scales, the prosecutor views it as being possession for personal use. (If she's buying enough that she needs a scale to avoid being ripped off, she should perhaps try to stop. She can expect to be tested during probation.)

She can consult a criminal defense lawyer about petitioning for disposition under MCL 333.7411 (lawyers refer to that section as "seventy-four, eleven"). If that happens, and she successfully completes a period of probation, she won't be convicted of the charge.

1. Sponsored Links