Question How is Taking a Person's License Productive?

Can someone help me to understand how taking away a person's livelihood by taking away their license a positive and productive act in the process of attempting to retrieve back support? I have a friend who is a truck driver and found out that his boss wasn't paying his support every week like he was supposed to for over a year. He had no idea it was happening until he left that job and found out his license had been suspended. Now he owes like $7000 in back payments and they are refusing to reinstate his license until he pays it. He has no documentation showing that his boss was paying the support even though he was taking it out of my friends pay every week. Needless to say he isn't very good with records. The problem is, he now has no livelihood because the state took it away when they took his license. Is he supposed to work at MsDonalds making $6/hour until he can pay back $7000? How is it that he has no recourse here? He wants to pay it, but without being able to drive he has no way of making enough of a living for himself, no to mention paying his back payments on top of what his current payments are supposed to be. This is Florida's idea of progress for the support collection problem we have in America?

Default Re: How is taking a person's license productive?

Like all Bureaucracies, ours is a big lumbering oaf that smashes things as it stumbles through the lives of people it should never have gotten involved with. Best that your friend keeps records of everything. Best that he double checks everything as well.

Default Re: How is Taking a Person's License Productive?

Quote Quoting premlor
    View Post
    Can someone help me to understand how taking away a person's livelihood by taking away their license a positive and productive act in the process of attempting to retrieve back support? I have a friend who is a truck driver and found out that his boss wasn't paying his support every week like he was supposed to for over a year. He had no idea it was happening until he left that job and found out his license had been suspended. Now he owes like $7000 in back payments and they are refusing to reinstate his license until he pays it. He has no documentation showing that his boss was paying the support even though he was taking it out of my friends pay every week. Needless to say he isn't very good with records. The problem is, he now has no livelihood because the state took it away when they took his license. Is he supposed to work at MsDonalds making $6/hour until he can pay back $7000? How is it that he has no recourse here? He wants to pay it, but without being able to drive he has no way of making enough of a living for himself, no to mention paying his back payments on top of what his current payments are supposed to be. This is Florida's idea of progress for the support collection problem we have in America?
    There are several things your friend should do:

First and foremost, he needs to contact the DOR CSE to make arrangements to pay both on-going support and a small additional amount towards arrears. As soon as he makes one payment and signs an agreement with the CSE, they will give him a paper allowing reinstatment of his DL. Then all he has to do is take that paper to the DMV to reinstate DL.

Does your friend have his paystubs showing that the CS was actually deducted? IF he does, he can take those to the CSE also, then they will go after the employer for payment. Even if he doesn't have all the stubs, he should take in the ones he does have.

1. Sponsored Links