Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Leaving Home To Live With A Boyfriend

    Hi, my name is Jhermynne and I have been having problems at home, and I just can't stay here anymore, so I thought about leaving home. When I do leave I plan on living with my boyfriend and his parents and my parents knows where that is. My only concern is that my parents might get his parents in trouble even though it was on my own free will.So I was thinking about emancipation but I don't want to go through all that court stuff and things, and I was wondering if there was any other choice I can make. All I need is to leave this house and get away, because I have been living with all the emotional abuse for so long, and I'm tired of it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005

    Default Re: Leaving Home To Live With A Boyfriend

    Whether or not you can emancipate depends upon your age, the laws of your country and state, and your ability to support yourself.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: Leaving Home To Live With A Boyfriend

    Well, I'm 16 and I was reading through the requirements in CT, where I live, and it states that:
    " You must be married, or
    You must be in the U.S. armed forces, or
    You must be living apart from your parents or guardian and be managing your own money, or
    The court must decide that an emancipation is in the best interests of you, or your parents, or your minor child (if you have one)."
    I plan to live with my boyfriend parents and I'm waiting to talk to my counselor and talk to her about it. I am also waiting on a job. I know that if I leave, my dad wont mind, but my mom might.I just don't want to go through any court stuff but I don't want his parents to get in trouble because they are just helping me out. I thought about having my counselor to tell my parents that I left home and I'm safe and I'm ok, but I'm a bit iffy on that.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006

    Default Re: Leaving Home To Live With A Boyfriend

    If you leave without permission and go to them they very well may end up in legal trouble.

    BTW, no judge is going to emancipate a teen, particularly over the objections of her parents, so that she can go and live with her boyfriend. That is simply not going to happen.

    Emancipation is VERY rare and was not designed to allow kids to leave home. The emancipation laws were put into place so as to provide protections to those teens who, through no fault of their own, found themselves in the position of having (not wanting) to be self-supporting.

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Runaways: 17 Year Old Leaving to Live with 17, Almost 18 Year Old Boyfriend
    By cowgirl17 in forum Juvenile Law
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-07-2010, 04:58 PM
  2. Minor Leaving Country to Live with Girlfriend
    By ThatGuy1 in forum Juvenile Law
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-12-2010, 10:41 AM
  3. Roommates: Boyfriend/Roomate Not Paying Rent and Leaving
    By SC_Yankee in forum Landlord-Tenant Law
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-22-2010, 02:16 PM
  4. 16 Year Old Leaving Mom's to Live with Custodial Father
    By shopgirl37 in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-10-2008, 05:18 PM
  5. Fell down the stairs leaving the property I work and live in
    By bds90640 in forum Worker's Compensation
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-09-2006, 02:10 PM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources

Forum Sponsor
Legal Forms - Buy easy-to-use legal forms.