Default Constitution Day

Today commemorates the 220th anniversary of the signing of the Constitution of the United States, the Original 7 Articles, on September 17,1787.

After the ratification of the required 3/4 of the states in 1788, the Constitution was declared in full force and effect on March 4, 1789.

Written to replace the failed Articles of Confederation of 1781, this document has endured for over 200 years.

On display in the National Archives in Washington D.C., it is truly a sight to behold.

http://www.archives.gov/national-arc...stitution.html

http://www.archives.gov/national-arc...ution-day.html

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania is without question the birthplace of the United States.

In Independence Hall the Declaration of Independence was adopted and signed and also the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

http://www.nps.gov/inde/

http://www.ushistory.org/tour/tour_indhall.htm

Declaration chamber or Assembly hall is the room where our great founding fathers met and engaged in political debate and changed the course of the world, literally. The chair that George Washington sat in as President of the Constitutional convention is original. Most other furnishings are period pieces.

Some feet west and adjacent to Independence Hall is Congress Hall, where they met from 1790-1800 when Philadelphia was the capital.

East is Old City Hall where the United States Supreme Court met, same years.

I urge anyone who can make trips to Philadelphia and Washington, even once in thier lives, to do so.

BOR (Bill of Rights)

Default Re: Constitution Day

I have always wondered why Constitution day was not a national holiday. The US constituion is what makes America free. With out it we would not be a democracy, nor would we have survived as a nation.

The constitution was not put in place to protect criminals, but to protect hard-working citizens from the goverment. This allows citizens to sleep peacefully knowing their rights and privacy is protected.

Lately we have all seen our leaders try and take parts of the constitution away from us. Why don't the people speak up about this? Guess nobody really cares unless it effects them personally. I bet some people out there have no idea what the constitution really is.

"Can any of you seriously say the Bill of Rights could get through Congress today? It wouldn't even get out of committee." F. Lee Bailey

I've always wanted to visit New England and see how our nation was born. I thought about going there next fall.

Quote Quoting blueeagle
    View Post
    I have always wondered why Constitution day was not a national holiday. The US constituion is what makes America free. With out it we would not be a democracy, nor would we have survived as a nation.

The constitution was not put in place to protect criminals, but to protect hard-working citizens from the goverment. This allows citizens to sleep peacefully knowing their rights and privacy is protected.

Lately we have all seen our leaders try and take parts of the constitution away from us. Why don't the people speak up about this? Guess nobody really cares unless it effects them personally. I bet some people out there have no idea what the constitution really is.

"Can any of you seriously say the Bill of Rights could get through Congress today? It wouldn't even get out of committee." F. Lee Bailey

I've always wanted to visit New England and see how our nation was born. I thought about going there next fall.

Blue, definitely visit New England (Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut) if you have the opportunity. You should also try to go to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Washington DC.

Blame those Democrats for always trying to increase the power of govenment, Blue. They pushed the Patriot Act and now look at all those freedoms we have lost! This is supposed to Rule of Law not Rule by Law!!! isn't?

Quote Quoting deadlock
    View Post
    Blue, definitely visit New England (Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut) if you have the opportunity. You should also try to go to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and Washington DC.

Blame those Democrats for always trying to increase the power of govenment, Blue. They pushed the Patriot Act and now look at all those freedoms we have lost! This is supposed to Rule of Law not Rule by Law!!! isn't?
    Deadlock, as a proud liberal I want to disagree with you, but I cannot. My own party is just as much to blame as George Dubya and the Republicans. My party, along with certain republicans (Ron Paul etc), could have stopped the "Patriot" act from being passed. Did we? No, we let our fear of terror overcome the principals our nation was founded over.

Neither party in congress is doing anything right now. The poor STILL lack health care, our brave troops are STILL dying in war that should have never been fought, the good people of New Orleans are STILL displaced, and our civil rights are STILL being stripped away. We need REAL politicians in congress.

Quote Quoting blueeagle
    View Post

snip

Boston and surrounding areas are a sight see treasure. Freedom trail in Boston has about 9-11 attractions including Old Granary burial ground where Benjamin Franklin's parents, John Hancock, Samuel Adams and Paule Revere are buried.

Old North Church and Paul Revere's home are on the trail also. Paul Revere's home is the only surviving 17 century structure in Boston.

West over the Charles River in Cambridge is Harvard and MIT, and some miles away is Brookline and the birth home of JFK.

Concord and Lexington are west also. The battle of Concord, where the shot "heard 'round the world" was fired.

Walden Pond is also close.

About 25 miles north of Boston is Salem, where the 1692 Witchcraft hysteria/trials took place. A MUST see if one is Boston bound. The House of the Seven Gables in Salem is awesome to tour. I made it there one time in my life, a LONG voyage, but worth it.

Just too many sights to list to be honest.

A little trivia concerning the first battle of the American Revolution. Although it is attributed to Lexington, some historians have insisted it was the battle of Point Pleasant, VA (now WV) in late 1774. The US Senate so recognized this in a resolution in 1909.

Thanks to all who posted on Constitution day.

1. Sponsored Links