Default The Flaws In Child Support - Well, Some Of Them

Here's where I'm at and I'd like for somebody to explain the logic. I was paying my estranged wife from the time we separated - no support order, I just paid an amount that we agreed to.

Then she decided that she wanted more and filed for support. Right around that same time I got laid off (I was working as a contractor and the contract went to a lower bidder). My child support fell behind (since they still calculate it based on what I SHOULD be making) and now I'm in the unenviable position of trying to find a job without a driver's license - which was suspended because my support is in arrears. How does it make sense to suspend professional licenses and drivers licenses while demanding money from somebody who can now not get back and forth to work?!

I've seen other threads that also mentioned my other pet peeve: there needs to be a way to make sure that the money is going to my kids. Even when I was giving their mom money, everything she bought was with "her money" because she goes out and works...anytime they couldn't have something it was because daddy doesn't pay child support.

The system just seems heavily weighted. I'm calculated based on what some bureaucrat thinks I should be making - she's calculated based on what she makes. When she gets a new job making more money, that's a non-issue - if I take a job making less than I "could" make just to try and start making some kind of payments, that's also a non-issue because I'm "choosing" to be underemployed. I'm also supposed to be paying for half of the day care that they no longer go to because it's damn tricky to prove that somebody isn't spending money (she doesn't, apparently, have to prove that she is). Meanwhile my nine year old and my seven year old are home alone because their half-sister needs to be able to go to West Virginia with her redneck Myspace boyfriend and Childrens Services tells me that I should try to work that out with the mother instead of hassling them.

Default Re: The Flaws In Child Support - Well, Some Of Them

How does it make sense to suspend professional licenses and drivers licenses while demanding money from somebody who can now not get back and forth to work?!

It does not make sense; I've always said that is a stupid law.

Quote Quoting seniorjudge
    View Post
    How does it make sense to suspend professional licenses and drivers licenses while demanding money from somebody who can now not get back and forth to work?!

It does not make sense; I've always said that is a stupid law.
    Nice to see I'm not alone. I increasingly find myself completely out of touch with where our society has apparently gone.

You have two legs, don't you? WALK!! If you father the kids; you need to support them! If you don't want kids... either use birth control, or keep it in your pants.

Quote Quoting blueeagle
    View Post
    You have two legs, don't you? WALK!! If you father the kids; you need to support them! If you don't want kids... either use birth control, or keep it in your pants.
    That's not really a viable option when you live out in the country and the nearest place of business is miles away.

I understand, of course, that the only reason that men (because non-custodial women never fall behind on support) don't support their kids is because they are "deadbeats". But I'm not looking to shirk my responsibilities. I was paying even before there was a court order. I'm not asking the government to support my kids...I'm just saying that they should let me do it.

Someone who's convicted of multiple drunk driving offenses can at least (maybe, if there are multiples) get work priviledges so they can go back and forth to work. But not someone who owes child support?!

The entire system is biased against men.

The system is geared towards women. There are the exceptions where they go after women for non support, but not with the same jealousness they do with men.

Then you have to deal with certain individuals who are employed by the system and who impose their own personal vendettas they have against every man that walks through the support office door.

I could give many examples of how biased and unfair the system is.

I've seen other threads that also mentioned my other pet peeve: there needs to be a way to make sure that the money is going to my kids. Even when I was giving their mom money, everything she bought was with "her money" because she goes out and works...anytime they couldn't have something it was because daddy doesn't pay child support

Get used to that. Do you really think your kids are eating steak paid for with their support from you while momma and the rest of the family is eating hamburgers paid for with her money? Nawwwww.

Most custodials look at CS as a personal paycheck.

However, the bottom line--you need to pay child support.

1. Sponsored Links