Default Juvenile Record and Background Check

HI!!

When my son was 15, he threatened to run away, and to make a long story short, he was not well mentally, and we dialed 911 to have the police assist us in preventing him from running away.

He is now 18, doing fantastic, and looking for a job to help pay for college. He applied at an area gas station, who required a background check. My son was sent to the sheriff's dept., paid the $10, and waited. When the clerk called him to the counter, she informed him that this popped up on his background check. To clarify, no charges were ever filed, the police came to our house, sat down with us, and talked to him for about a half an hour, then left. NO charges were filed.

How do I help him get this off his background check. The clerk at the sheriff's department was gracious enough to leave it off his background checkfor the gas station job, but in the future, he may not be so lucky. Thanks, these forums are INVALUABLE!!!

Default Re: Juvenile Record and Background Check

What exactly do you mean by "his name popped up" - that is, what "popped up" in association with his name?

Also, what state is involved?

Sorry, the state is Michigan.

The clerk stated that his name came up in relation to the incident where the police were called to our home to help us stop him from running away. She sad no charges were filed (which they weren't), and no one ever was taken into custody nor went to court. He was 15 when this occured.

What's "coming up"? Just that his name is attached to an incident report, or are there further details?

I see information on sealing court records, and I see information on destroying arrest cards and fingerprint records when no charges are filed, but I don't see anything about destroying a record outside of those contexts.

Did you try asking the Sheriff's Department if there is a way to get such a record sealed, preferably without incurring too much time, expense and bother?

1. Sponsored Links