Exclamation Can A Lender Go After You For Money Spend on Collections, After Settlement

A kajillion years ago (2003) i opened a credit card account, maxed it out and did pay a cent. (There are reasons for it but, Terrible me---I KNOW!!!!) Anywho, earlier this year I sought out the creditor to whom i owed the money and was told by them that they were no longer handling the account and i needed to speak with the debt collections agency they employed. I called the agency and paid the outstanding amount. The agency sent me a letter stating "Your account is considered settled in full."

Six months later i go to check my credit report and see that the information had not been updated at all. I dispute the information on my credit report and 30 days afterward the Creditor has updated my report to read, "$714 past due as of Aug 2007" and makes no mention of the payment made earlier this year.

I have a copy of the check that was cashed and the letter from the debt collections agency. I've written a nasty letter to the Creditor (not sent yet) urging them to remove the incorrect information from my report (who wouldn't?). Then something hit me...."Can the Creditor now come after me for the money they spent on hiring a collection agency?"

I'd like to put it all behind me as i am hardly a shadow of the person i was in 2003.

Please advise. Thanks.

Default Re: Can A Lender Go After You For Money Spend on Collections, After Settlement

If the debt was settled, that should be the end of it. (No subsequent bill for "collection agency services.")

Make your letter to the original creditor less nasty. ("You catch more flies with honey.") Your letter is probably going to be reviewed by a low-wage employee who can either fast-track it or make it a very low priority to investigate it.

Smile Re: Can A Lender Go After You For Money Spend on Collections, After Settlement

Thanks for the advice. I agree with you that it will probably be in my best interest to be less aggressive--I was upset with the circumstance at the time of writing. However, I am going to CC the Credit Bureau and present to them support of my dispute.

1. Sponsored Links