Default Privacy of Personal Information in Forums

How safe are online forums, can other members find out personal information like address/phone number? I've heard about ISP numbers and not sure what that is, but can they get others ISP number and if so can they then get personal infos? the reason I ask is, I'm on a music forum and a person PM'd me and we talked back and forth for a while and he wanted to know more info about me and get to know me more (like interested in me) and well I don't mind sharing music interests but after a while I felt uncomfortable and told him I'm there to talk about music and well I've blocked this person, but I just wonder if they are able to get look up my ISP number and get personal informations and waht are the privacy rights for online forums? how safe are they?

Default Re: Privacy of Personal Information in Forums

There are many different types of forum software. Some are secure, some are old and have poor security. Some (like this one) hide your IP and email from other ordinary users, while others put your IP or email in the post or in the page code where others can access it. Some sites have strong privacy policies; others have no privacy policies at all.

I do not know much about these forums and computers. What is an IP? and could he get my address/phone number from it? without going into detail, I felt uncomfortable with some of his questions and so I had blocked him, but just wanted to know if it's possible he can get my contact info. Thanks.

An "IP Number" is the number assigned to any machine connected to the Internet, so that it can be identified by the other computers to which it connects or attempts to communicate. If somebody has your IP number and the date and time you used that IP, with a subpoena they can probably identify you through your ISP (internet services provider). This is most easily done by a prosecutor's office when investigating a crime; it's pretty cumbersome and potentially expensive for anybody else.

1. Sponsored Links