Default Emancipation in Colorado

Yet another frustrated teenager wanting to get out of home...

I'm 17, living in Colorado and I am having a hell of a time figuring out the emancipation laws here. I've been online for hours and I can't figure it out. I don't live in a physically abusive home, but my dad is in a sense emotionally abusing me -which sounds stupid but w/e. I honestly hate licing here and my parents and I never get along. Since I was 12 my mom has been telling me I could live on my own and get by so that won't be hard. I have a steady income and money in the bank. I'm not finished with highschool, but I am thinking of taking my GED or finishing at an alternative highschool. I am going to get my diplome of some sort so that shouldn't be a problem either. My boyfriend lives in Georgia and his cousin offered me a place to live until I turn 18. Also, there is a college oppurtunity there that I can go to before I am 18 as long as I graduate highschool. My parents probably won't sign off for me to be emancipated, but someone told me that at 17 it isn't required.

What are some of the legal requirements in Colorado, and how can I go about getting emancipated? Marriage I guess is sort of an option though I don't really want to get married just to move out. Any and all help is greatly appreciated! Even who to contact for information is great.

Default Re: Emancipation in Colorado

I forgot to add, I have read the small statute regarding emancipation but I am having trouble understanding it. Is there anyone I can email or call for more detailed proffessional advice? I jsut need to know what exactly I have to do becuase if I attempt emancipation and fail.... it would so not be good.

Colorado does not appear to have a statutorily defined procedure for emancipation. It recognizes emancipation in its statutes, which you say you have read:
    Quote Quoting Colorado Code 19-1-103. Definitions
    (45) "Emancipated juvenile", as used in section 19-2-511, means a juvenile over fifteen years of age and under eighteen years of age who has, with the real or apparent assent of the juvenile's parents, demonstrated independence from the juvenile's parents in matters of care, custody, and earnings. The term may include, but shall not be limited to, any such juvenile who has the sole responsibility for the juvenile's own support, who is married, or who is in the military.
    and it is my understanding that a court will recognize a minor as emancipated.

As there is no statute, there is no specific procedure I can point to. You may wish to consult a family lawyer.

i am 16 and am going crazy i have been working since i was 10 babysitting but its still a job. i have been working in a restraunt now for only 3 months cooking i make enough to support me but is that enough to get emanicipated. i buy my food, my clothes, Everything that i need to live. i basicly live on my own because my dad is never home and when he is i'm at work or were fighting. i am supporting myself my dad has done nothing. my dad and i have never gotten along i have always taken care of my self when i get sick i take my self to the doctor. when i need food i go buy food. living with my dad is very stressful and it makes it harder for me to work. and if i can't work i can't get the money for the things that i need to live. my dad has never been there for me. he use to beat me and now all he ever does is threatn me. i am scared to live at my house. i love my dad but i have to worrie about my safty and my live on this earth. i really need to be emancipated but i need help to understand this law someone please help me. valirez@yahoo.com

What part of "there is no emancipation statute in Colorado" was difficult to understand?

If you want to be emancipated, you will have to get an attorney to help you.

Buying food and your own clothes is not considered 100% self supporting.

panther10758 Guest

Valirez if you would like us to address how you cannot be emancipated perhaps you should start your own thread

Default Emancipation in Kentucky

now i have read the emancipation laws and i do know that if i have a well paying job by 16 and im living on my own that i can get emancipated, but i need a little more back up word for that. i need to know what extra measures i can take to make sure i get it, also my mom said she will sign a consent, she agrees to it.

Reva, as panther stated to another poster here on the thread, please start your own thread and don't piggy-back off of anothers.

Thank you.

1. Sponsored Links