Default SSI and Limits on Assets

I have applied for ssi/ssdi in maryland
    I have been off work since December 2006 receiving no money from workmans comp/ cant get an answer.
    I have used up all my money, have nothing - no retirement - no life ins.
    I have two cars in my name I live with my older daughter since my injury.
    One is mine worth 2900. and one is my daughters blue book valued at 2300.
    Apparently they dismiss one car so they took mine off but my daughters car put me over the limit.
    The woman I spoke to at social security said if i took my daughters car t oa used car dealership and got a qute I could use that amount. I knew my daughters car was not worth 2300. so I did and they valued it at 1750.
    Will this help me....
    Also how long does one wait to hear about ssi/ I assumed it would be quick.
    Does ssi start from when you apply or does it go back to injury date and
    how much des one get.

Default Re: SSI Resources

I think I responded to similar questions in another thread but in case I didn't....

SSI is needs based (income/asset based). They use income guidelines similar to welfare for SSI.
    WHere are you in the application process (First application, second, etc)? SSDI is for available to anyone who has earned enough work credits (has nothing to do with how much money you made)

Our lawyer told us that the eligibilty date is 6 months after the date of injury (my wife stopped working June 30, 2005 so her eligibilty was Dec 30, 2005). Lawyer also said that this earliest date SS can use for eligibility but that they don't HAVE to find you disabled as of this date (for example, they could decide to find you disabled as of Aug of this year). As far as how much you get.... It's based on how much you made during your years of employment. Once a year SS sends out a statement (how much you would receive when you retire, how much you would get if you are disabled now, etc). That should give you a ball park idea.If you don't have one of those statements, don't bother asking SS for one-they will not give you a current statement with a pending disability case (my wife tried).

The waiting time can vary greatly (depending on your county, state and case). My wife put in her 1st application in Dec 2005. After 2 denials, she put in the request for a hearing before an ALJ (this was done in Aug 2006). SHe was notified 2 weeks ago that she would have her hearing in Oct 07. You may get lucky and get approved on the first try, but don't count on it. Most people don't get approved the first time around.

NOTHING from the Social Security office is quick. They take their sweet time. If we didn't have family to help us out financially, we would have been in trouble a long time ago (my wife used to make 55K/yr as a nurse- that's alot of income to lose). Good luck. I hope your decision is a speedy one. Get a lawyer if you get denied.

Thank you, you did answer before I am just so confused I thought it was about ssdi/ to much going on at the same time.
    I read over your previous reply again.
    This garbage has me in a world I never knew existed.

they denied ssi because resources were over $2000
    I took the papers showing the true value of my only resources to social security office-

Now with paperwork resources are only 1750. below the allowed amount.
    Can ssi be denied still?

If the Social Security Administration accepts that your assets do not exceed current limits, they will not deny Social Security benefits on that basis.

Have you received any statement about your qualifications for receiving SSDI or SSI?

If I remember correctly, you had a work injury and were release to work with partial restrictions. You have to meet the medical disability qualifications for ssdi.

Or is it SSI that you believe you are qualified to receive?

Quote Quoting deadlock
    View Post
    Have you received any statement about your qualifications for receiving SSDI or SSI?

If I remember correctly, you had a work injury and were release to work with partial restrictions. You have to meet the medical disability qualifications for ssdi.

Or is it SSI that you believe you are qualified to receive?
    I Went to social security office and they filled out applications for ssi and ssdi.
    I then had a telephone interview which lasted over 3 hours.
    I was given a paper for being off work in May again.until surgery (when ever that will be)
    i don't know if I qualify for SSI OR SSDI .
    I have also applied for help from state (food stamps)
    [/I]

Quote Quoting vickash
    View Post
    I Went to social security office and they filled out applications for ssi and ssdi.
    I then had a telephone interview which lasted over 3 hours.
    I was given a paper for being off work in May again.until surgery (when ever that will be)
    i don't know if I qualify for SSI OR SSDI .
    I have also applied for help from state (food stamps)
    [/I]
    The reason I ask is you mentioned above that you were denied SSDI based on asset over $2000. Regardless- you are not considered disabled while your WC case is pending.

Did you find another attorney? or do you know your attorney is still working with WC on your behalf.

I realize you are feeling desperate. But you cannot make the cogs of BWC turn any faster than than their current speed. But if I were you I would find out who is representing you and if your attorney signed off- get your files and find someone to represent you.

Quote Quoting deadlock
    View Post
    The reason I ask is you mentioned above that you were denied SSDI based on asset over $2000. Regardless- you are not considered disabled while your WC case is pending.

Did you find another attorney? or do you know your attorney is still working with WC on your behalf.

I realize you are feeling desperate. But you cannot make the cogs of BWC turn any faster than than their current speed. But if I were you I would find out who is representing you and if your attorney signed off- get your files and find someone to represent you.

I meant ssi was denied due to resources/found out today this had been approved now.
    ssdi is way down the road from what I hear.
    Workers comp isn't pending ( I don't think) They are paying medical in their
    slow manner.
    Been taken off work since May and not receiving any money from workers comp. ( don't know why can't get any answers)
    Still no attorney- Finally got a reply from him from the first attorney about me dismissing his firm after I notified workers comp by legal form.
    Tried to get file---- they listed only three dates of information dating back to February when I hired them.
    It will cost me over $100.00 for them to give me this file.
    If I get any money maybe I can get it, until then everything I borrow goes to bills.
    Since i will be out of work a year and still waiting for surgery the person at Social Security said to apply for ssdi.
    Sorry this is so confusing ---part of the reason is the situation and part is how I am communicating it due to my medicine.
    A year ago I was not the pathetic creature this has turned me into.

Default Re: SSI and Limits on Assets

This website has two links that might be helpful for you:

http://www.msba.org/public/index.htm

First, the fee dispute with your attorney.

Second, Pro Bono.

Try to get someone to give you legal advice about your situation.

1. Sponsored Links