Default Stolen Checks Scam

Hello first time poster,

A few weeks ago I looked into a job offer I found in the classifieds of our state newspaper. I began some email contact with a guy claiming to do some art business in the uk. He tells me he wants me to receive some checks from customers in the us and western union them to other partners of the business in the uk and he will pay me with small percentages of each check. I was really skeptical and everything seemed pretty wierd when one morning I got a package from ups and it was a check. Ignorantly I put it into my bank account, in order to cash later in the day and later that day I found some info about stolen check scams and I believe thats what I have gotten myself into.

What usually happens here is most people will wire the money out of the country and by the time they find out it was all stolen money they are being held accountable. Most have to repay all of the money and others actually get prosecuted. I luckily caught myself before wiring it anywhere, but now I have the money in my checking account.

My questions is what do you all think I should do about this? I have already emailed my bank letting them know it is probably stolen money. I told the guy I knew he was scamming me and he has since stopped our communication. Should I call the police? I mean I have all the money accounted for and things that prove my ignorance, I should be ok right?

Default Re: Stolen Checks Scam

Odds are the police will become involved sooner or later, such as when the bank confirms that the check is in fact fraudulent, so why not make a report yourself?

Well I think I'm going to just go down to my bank let them know whats up, because the email didn't seem to grab their attention, and do whatever they suggest I do. The check still hasn't cleared so I presume in a week or so everyone (the bank, whoevers check was stolen, and the police) will be getting involved.

Well it turns out the check was counterfeit, not stolen. The bank was very nice about the whole thing and because I didn't go and spend the money or send it out of the country there wasn't any problems. No police involvement necessary, thank god.

1. Sponsored Links