Default Speeding and Expired Registration, But Ticket Says Registration Is Valid

Sorry for the title. I hope it makes sense. Long story short:

I get pulled for speeding. Cop writes ticket and after checking car registration says "Well, it says your registration is expired but I can see it's not. Just show them proof and they'll drop that part." When I get home, I look at the ticket and it explicitly says the registration expires in 2008!

So I have a ticket for "speeding + expired registration" and the exact same ticket says my registration is valid. Is this whole ticket invalid then? If not, does the discrepancy give me any leeway for arguing the cop did not accurately judge the situation and may not have gotten my speed right either?

Crowley, TX is the location. "55 in a 40mph" is the speeding citation but that seems awfully high given my "perceived" speed (I confess I didn't see the speedo when she put on the lights and it was below 50 by the time I looked down (still speeding of course), but that could easily be because I automatically brake when I see lights). It was in a construction zone (10pm on a Sat with no workers present) but does not explicitly say "construction" anywhere.

Default Re: Speeding + Expired Reg, but ticket shows valid reg. Invalid ticket?

Quote Quoting TX Ciclista
    View Post
    "Well, it says your registration is expired but I can see it's not. Just show them proof and they'll drop that part."
    Question: do you have the sticker on your car for current registration?

They'll drop that part if necessary depending if you really do have registration. As for the speeding part If she got you on the radar your nailed on that, but even if thats not the case the court will believe the officer over you any day.

And just cause there are no workers present doesn't make it safe to exceed the posted limit, depending on your state, county etc, traffic fines can double in construction zones.

Default Re: Speeding + Expired Reg, but ticket shows valid reg. Invalid ticket?

Check with the clerk of court. Usually you can mail in your proof and they will drop the expired registration part. Take the online traffic school for the speeding ticket.

Default Re: Speeding and Expired Registration, But Ticket Says Registration Is Valid

Yeah OK. I kind of figured it wouldn't get my any leeway (the incorrect registration data) but it was worth a shot.

And yes, construction fines are double in our state, but she didn't specifically mention "speeding in a construction zone" so I don't know if they just look up the address or if it's the officer's discretion to put that on the ticket or not. Looks like it's Defensive Driving for me

1. Sponsored Links