Default Careless Driving Charge in Missouri

Hi,

My son was recently charged for careless driving. He was driving on a two-way single lane road during rain, and while taking a curve, he lost control of the vehicle. Unfortunately, a cop was passing him on the other side, and my son almost hit him but missed. After trying to regain control of the car, he parallel parked on the opposite side of the road (after breaching the double yellow).

He was driving near legal speeds, and the cop recorded his speed as 48MPH (45MPH speed limit). The reason why the car went out-of-control was because of hydroplaning (my son said). My son had no idea he would lose control of the vehicle over the curve (the curve wasn't too sharp, simple turn).

The cop wrote on the ticket: "careless driving / impudent driving / failure to maintain single lane / too fast for condition." Is there any way to reduce the infraction?

Thank you.

Default Re: Careless Driving Charge in Missouri

He can go to court and, depending upon local traffic court procedures, try to negotiate a deal with the prosecutor. He can also check with the court about traffic school eligibility.

It wasn't legal for your son to be speeding in good weather, but in rainy weather, where the roads are slick, he certainly shouldn't have been speeding. The rest of his actions, apparently not slowly down to compensate for the curve, show that he was driving too fast. My opinion? The ticket is 100% valid.

Check to see if there is a local ordinance that he could plead guilty to (such as unsafe driving or the like) as many jurisdictions have them and violations of these are not normally turned into the State's Driver Control Office.

1. Sponsored Links