Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Unhappy How To Fight A Paced Speeding Ticket

I got a speeding ticket for being paced at 85mph in what he said was a 65mph zone. There was alot of traffic that morning and it was coming onto a bridge that when u come from the south onto it and from the north the middle lanes merges together. When i was pulled over i told the cop that i sped up becausecars dont see bikes very well and i didnt want to get squeezed between 2 cars or a car and the bridge sidewall. He still insisted on giving me the ticket. The court date was in feb and i went out for deployment and couldnt make it so i had it extended till aug. I am hoping the cop won't even show up but if he does then i will need to have all my evidence/resources available to present to judge. Anyone have any suggestions or advice they can give to me???

THANKS LOTS!

Default Re: How To Fight A Paced Speeding Ticket

What evidence are you thinking that you might present?

Quote Quoting brad00_57
    View Post
    I got a speeding ticket for being paced at 85mph in what he said was a 65mph zone. There was alot of traffic that morning and it was coming onto a bridge that when u come from the south onto it and from the north the middle lanes merges together. When i was pulled over i told the cop that i sped up becausecars dont see bikes very well and i didnt want to get squeezed between 2 cars or a car and the bridge sidewall. He still insisted on giving me the ticket. The court date was in feb and i went out for deployment and couldnt make it so i had it extended till aug. I am hoping the cop won't even show up but if he does then i will need to have all my evidence/resources available to present to judge. Anyone have any suggestions or advice they can give to me???

THANKS LOTS!
    Brad, ask specifically HOW he clocked you. What type of stop watch he uses, allowing for reaction time to start and stop the second hand, etc.

If the distance from point A to point B is 50 yards, the time you took to travel from A to B is your speed/rate. Providing exact details on a pace is crucial so the officer must be able to pinpoint where he was and when he saw you. If it is not possible he saw you at the time he states he did, how can he pace you? Make him draw a map/diagram to support it, you/your attorney have a right to examine him on the witness stand.

r=d/t (rate equals distance divided by time)

I dont really know what i should present as evidence other than i can draw a map of the situation. Although one of my fellow workers saw it happen and he said he would testify with me if it would help. I was reading a book about traffic tickets and inside it it said that there was an equation that he has to figure in his head, so he should know that equation as soon as he is questioned. I dont really know what all i can take as far as evidence....I really dont think he had time to pace me, if so he had to of did it quickly because he was on me really quick. He even told me he didnt really know how fast i was actually going but that he had to do over 85 to catch up with me. which doesnt really mean anything, because of course you have to speed up if your already way behind. I just really think i have a good chance of beating this ticket but im just unsure of what to have or take to the stand. I havent ever fought a ticket before

I don't know if you can "cross examine" him, but if he's on the stand, one question I would ask was "Did you or did you not say you 'didn't really have a good idea of how fast I was going'?"

BOR, being paced means that he matched the speed with his car and estimated the speed of the target vehicle. No stopwatch was necessary.

Brad, what state did this happen in and what was the exact code section you were cited for violating?

- Carl

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    BOR, being paced means that he matched the speed with his car and estimated the speed of the target vehicle. No stopwatch was necessary.

- Carl

Thanks for the correction Carl.

Do police still use the old stopwatch method as I mentioned??

Bill of Rights

Quote Quoting BOR
    View Post
    Do police still use the old stopwatch method as I mentioned??
    Not generally on the ground - at least not out here ... there are other ways that are similar but more effective.

- Carl

The key is finding out how you were paced. Speedometers are still commonly used and you may check out when his speedometer was calibrated for accuracy. The officer may also be able to testify regarding his visual estimate of speed based on his training. Paced speeding tickets are still speeding tickets and are ordinarily hard to beat.

it happened in California

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast