Default Easement Rights

Michigan

I live on a private road that has no road maintenance agreement. The private drive was one of the first in the township, so it is grandfathered in. The road is constructed of road road gravel. The issues that arise most of the residents is:

1) Residents at the end of the private drive grade the road with out getting permission or approval.

2) Then use the road for a drag strip, where kids are playing. ( We have asked them on SEVERAL occasions to please slow down, NO SUPPORT.

3) Don't replace gravel, so now road grade is approx 6" below orginal grade, this has effected phone lines and road boundries.

Rights

1) Do they have a right to grade with out approval?

2) Can I get a restraining order on ones that abuse the speed liimt. ( I do have a 10 MPH speed linit posted at both ends of my property.)

3) Can I install speed bumps? If I Pay for them and maintain them.

Thanks
    flylevel

Default Re: Easement Rights

There's no writing or other instrument detailing owner rights and obligations in relation to this road? This is what - a series of easements over your respective properties which, together, comprise the private road?

Check with your township (or local unit of government with authority over the place you live, if not a township) as they may have ordinances governing the maintenance of private roads.

You should not expect that you can install speed bumps, as that burdens everybody else in their use of the road.

1. Sponsored Links