Default Threatened With Prosecution After Sending Bad Checks To A Collection Agency

After many calls, a month ago I finally spoke with Randall & Richards regarding a debt of $832 that I had with a client of them. At that moment I agreed to make weekly payments of $100 to settle the debt. These payments were to be electronically drafted from my bank account which I gave at that moment, we also agreed that they would call the day before to confirm the next day transaction.
    My first payment came as NSF, but was able to have them redo it two days later with no further problem. But unfortunate events came up and the two following payments came back as NSF too. Neither them nor I called each other either to confirm or to hold the transaction. After these two NSF, they gave me a call saying that they were cancelling the electronic drafts from my account and requested that money orders were to be FedExed to them immediately or were going to file a claim with my county's sheriff dept or prosecutor office for bad checks.
    I tried to send them a payment last week but couldn't make it, so on 08/16 they left a challenging message on my cell "recommending me to call Mike Setz, my county's prosecutor" regarding the bad checks issue, they even left the number to call.
    I acknowledged my debt and I am willing to pay it, unfortunately things are just tough at this moment and I am not able to do this now, but I am also feeling harrassed by this collector.
    So I am seeking advice on what to do in this case apart from paying the debt, should I call the prosecutor or try to come to terms with the collector?
    Your help will be very much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Default Re: Threatened With Prosecution After Sending Bad Checks To A Collection Agency

Unless you like the idea of being prosecuted and getting a criminal conviction out of this, give up your idea that you don't have to pay the debt. Find a way to get the money together and pay off the entire balance.

Default Re: Threatened With Prosecution After Sending Bad Checks To A Collection Agency

Thanks.

I think you misunderstood, I didn't have the idea of not paying: "I acknowledged my debt and I am willing to pay it", I wrote. I just wanted to get some advise on how act with this CA....

Pay the debt, expeditiously, with a money order (so it won't bounce).

1. Sponsored Links