Default Song On A DVD I Am Creating For Someone Else

Hello
    I am starting up a company doing video production, dvd creation and stuff like that. My question is, if I am creating a dvd for someone else and there is a song under copyright by someone else in the background can I get sued for it.

Examples:
    1. A friend wants dvd with a picture slideshow with a song playing in the background.
    2. I record a wedding and there are songs playing in the background.

Thanks For Any Help!
    Chris

Default Re: Song On A DVD I Am Creating For Someone Else

When forming/incorporating a company such as yours, it may be wise to consult an Intellectual Property (IP) Attorney for rights and clearances law etc.

Good luck with your new company.

Default Re: Song On A DVD I Am Creating For Someone Else

As you are a commercial service, you would want to get licensing for music you add to the background (or use recordings which are in the public domain). Whether or not bits of music you can hear in the background from the original recording require licensing or constitute "fair use" is not something for which I can give a good answer, as it will depend on the situation.

There are probably trade publications for your type of business enterprise, which probably discuss these issues (with ads for products and services which help accommodate your needs).

1. Sponsored Links