Question Debtors' Law Firm Let Me Down, in Arizona

I was out of work for a few months which caused me to fall behind with my credit card bills. I simply couldn't pay them. I became extremely worried because up until then my credit was flawless and I didn't know what to expect. I saw one of those "let us help you with your debt" ads on tv and picked up the phone. This company signs you up with a law firm that represents debtors when it seems they will get in trouble with creditors. I was advised to STOP talking to any creditors and to refer them to the Law Firm and they would handle it all. I have been paying $1015 per month to the Law Firm and they , like a trustee make arrangements (so they say) with the different creditors and settle with them and distribute monies to them. Well, one creditor is sueing me for judgment. I frantically called my attorney's office and I was advised by the litigation department NOT TO DO ANYTHNG and to fax over whatever I received from the creditor's attorney. I did so. Today I received documents from the courts advising that they are going to give me 10 days to respond or they will move forward with the law suit. Of course I immediately called my Law Firm and of course I got THEIR VOICEMAIL (AGAIN) at the litigation department. I was so frustrated I called the creditors attorney and I was advised that my Law Firm has made no attempt to speak with them in order to make any kind of arrangements, to advise them that I am making monthly payments in order to settle the account. All they received was a power of attorney from my law firm in the mail. I was also advised that unless I pay the full amount owed to them or make a large monthly payment every month, they will move forward with the law suit and there is a possibility of my wages being garnished. I called MY Law Firm back and spoke with the first available customer care representative who basically told me that there is nothing that they can do at this point and I could, if I wanted to withdraw the creditor's account from them and handle it on my own, which means make payments (huge payments) to the creditor AND continue to make $1015 payments per month to my Law Firm for the remaining creditors. I am just getting back on my feet and I feel that my Law Firm was deceptive. They repeatedly told me not to worry about a thing and to consider that creditors and their attorneys will say anything to get payment out of me and I should let them (my Law Firm) handle it all and I WOULD NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT ANYTHING. Thus far I have paid $4045 and I have seen no results. All I wanted was for the Law Firm to ACTIVELY make arrangements with the creditors and to let them know that they will receive funds and that I am paying and now I am facing possible garnishment of my wages.
    I am distraught to say the least. Is there anything that I can do in regards to the practices of this Law Firm ? I feel deceived, I would like my monies back and I want them to stop drawing money from my checking account. Can I sue them or am I completely screwed ?

Thank you

Default Re: My Law Firm let me down/ Arizona

File a complaint with your state bar's disciplinary committee.

Default Re: My Law Firm let me down/ Arizona

Quote Quoting seniorjudge
    View Post
    File a complaint with your state bar's disciplinary committee.
    ------------------------------
    Thank you for your response. My Law Firm is located in California, I live in Arizona, should I file the complaint in California ? Also, is there anything that I can do at this point to win time as far as the court proceedings are concerned other than paying a huge amount of money to the creditor's attorney ?

Thank you again

Default Re: Debtors' Law Firm Let Me Down, in Arizona

I doubt that the Arizona authorities are really interested in what the hoodlums in California are doing.

Quote Quoting seniorjudge
    View Post
    I doubt that the Arizona authorities are really interested in what the hoodlums in California are doing.
    -----------------
    I am sorry to bother you but I promisse not to bother you again after this question, I am just greatful that you've responded.
    Do you have any advise as to what I can do in reference to the court and the creditor's attorney that would help slow down the sueing process ? Can I respond in writing to the creditor's attorney and copy the court and advise of my intentions and what I've done thus far in order to straighten out the matter. I would like them to see that I didn't just close my eyes and ears and hoped for it all to go away but that I really did do something in order to satisfy the creditor.

Thank you one more time

You can check with the Arizona state bar to see if they would consider the California law firm to be engaged in the unauthorized practice of law by representing clients in your state.

Lightbulb Re: Debtors' Law Firm Let Me Down, in Arizona

oh my gosh, this is getting really interesting.

here we go:

the law firm that i hired originally to handle my debt is called "the palmer firm". when i first posted my msg on this board i had called their litigation dept and left a msg for someone to call me back and made sure they know it's URGENT. no response. i then decided to file a complaint with the bbb against them for refund of all monies paid. it appears that palmer law firm was just now contacted by the bbb because today i had a voicemail msg from them (syrupy sweet) and i was told that they will email their "local counsel" in regards to my being sued by a creditor. (this is HOW MANY DAYS after i left a msg with them advising what i am facing ?????????)

then i had a second phone call from a randy lang (the COUNSEL), he stated that he is with the law offices of arthur allsworth. his message was interesting because he had all the information screwed up. anyway, he left his CELL phone # 623-210- 6166 and a fax number and wants me to fax the documentation to him that i received from the creditor's attorney. since he had all the info screwed up, i figured i better try to find out who this guy is and what he is all about. i googled his phone# and lo and behold his name did come up with this phone number and took me to a forum about boxing. he has his number and name posted there as well and claimed to be an attorney. apparently he was the agent for a boxer named Morrison and there is all kind of nonsense going on there as well. as i searched a little bit more, this guy randy lang pops up all over the internet in connection with this morrison boxer and their fall out. in one of the articles i found, randy lang acknowledged that he is indeed NOT LICENSED TO REPRESENT clients in arizona.

so, now we have a law office (arthur allsworth) that supposedly is going to answer to my creditor's attorney on my behalf and this law office cannot be found in any directory OR via 411. then there is randy lang who supposedly works for this law office and randy lang is not licensed to represent anyone in arizona. by the way, the state bar of arizona has reprimented randy lang several times for representing clients in arizona without being licensed in arizona.

it is clear to me that bbb contacted palmer law firm (the firm i originally hired to handle my creditors) with my complaint. palmer law firm says "oh, s*** we have to do something* and calls up their buddy randy who is as shady as they are and says "yo, randy, this B**** , get her off our back*, randy says *no problem bro, i am on it*. randy feels he doesn't really like the boxing agent gig any more, too much press and he better find some income on the side and handles griping clients for his friend robert palmer, pretends he is going to answer on behalf of me to the creditor's attorney and makes me believe all is fine and dandy. meanwhile, i am still going to get sued, a judgment will still be granted and possible wage garnishment. sweet.

it appears there is a circle of shady characters involved and man, if i had the money and would know how, i would sue the whole bunch but as it looks at this point, i have no other options than to file bankruptcy. i sure wish someone would shut down palmer law firm and randy lang and whoever else is working this "gig" of theirs.

hope i didn't lose any of you guys, i know i was all over the place with my little report.

by the way, i was not able to find out whether or not "the palmer law firm" is licensed to represent clients in arizona. i went to the state bar association site (arizona) but i couldn't find anything on them.
    ps. i saved the voicemail messages and also the articles that i found on randy lang, just in case.

Did you ever get a response to this? It sounds like one of those national "firms" that preys on debtors by promising they can do more than they can do. They bring work in nationally, then farm it out to local guys who are willing to put their name on it. I can't say for sure that's what's going on here, but it looks like it.

I don't think you're limited to complaining to the Bar. They should act, but it's highly unlikely they will. Instead, your recourse is a suit against the firm. Very likely a class action suit.

I'd be curious to hear if you ever resolved it.

1. Sponsored Links