I live in Missouri and I have a friend in Texas that is 17. His parents kicked him out a few days ago and now he is living on the streets. I have known him since he was about 4 and have been friends with his parents that long. He wants to come live with me, but he does not want to tell his parents where he is going. I can provide for him and assure that he finishes his senior year of high school.

What I need to know is: Is it legal for him to come live with me? Would I need a power of attorney or in loco parentis or something? Would he need to be emancipated first? Could he come here and then file for emancipation after he gets here? Or is all that irrelevent. Even though his parents kicked him out, would I be harboring a runaway? And finally, since we are talking about two different states, what would happen if he did come live with me?

I know I am asking alot, but I have searched the internet and this seems to be the best place to get educated and comprehensive advice.

I remember when I was 16 in Texas, my mom chose her new boyfriend over me and put me out on the streets. I found someone to live with and finished out high school. At that time I had no guardian, though my mom was still my (non-possessing) custodial parent. This would almost be relevent to his current situation, except like I said, we are in two different states. Please reply as soon as possible, I don't want him to spend another night on the park bench.