Default Seeking Guardianship For a 14-Year-Old in Arizona

I live in Chandler, AZ and in 1998, I met my soulmate and married in 2001. We had a beautiful son together, Brandon, that is now 6. She had a child, Devon, who is now 14 from a previous father, no marriage. I have raised him since he was 4. His father has been in prison all his life for drugs and child molestation. Last time he had contact with him was I believe he was 5. Unfortunately, alcohol and drug abuse from my spouse ended our marriage in 2005. The 14 year old went with his mom for about 6 months before he called and asked me if he could move back in with me because she was never home, out drinking and drugging. She had a massive heart attack at age 37 in June and has recently moved into hospice in a vegative state and will soon pass. Devon has his grandparents that live in Phoenix and are both alcoholics. They have agreed that it is best for him to stay with me, I would have fought them tooth and nail if they had tried to take him away from me and his brother. I make decent money and have the means to support both children but cannot afford an attorney. I am looking for advice as to what avenues need to be taken so I may have guardianship over Devon.

Default Re: Seeking Guardianship For a 14-Year-Old in Arizona

You can obtain guardianship forms here, and a law firm provides an overview of the law here. It sounds like the process will be easiest if the father consents, but if he's incarcerated I suspect that a court would find that the parent-child "relationship has been severed by circumstance" such that the guardianship would proceed.

Thank you for answering. I did not get the link for forms. I forgot to mention that he has another half brother, 20, in Colorado who is the final say on his mother's condition. Does that affect my situation? Please send forms link again.

I don't know what authority the half-brother has in relation to the child. Have you tried discussing this plan with him?

I have discussed this with him and he is 100% behind me. Is this a lenghthy process and if so is there another way to get immediate guardianship? Do the grandparents have to be served with anything? Am I going to have to provide proof of his mother's state or passing? Am I going to have to have something from the grandparents stating this is basically OK with them?

You may wish to consider getting help from a lawyer.

1. Sponsored Links