Default Incorrect Information On A Summons

I live in Maine, I'm 18 years old, and I was pulled over 2 nights ago because an animal control officer who happened to be an off duty cop thought he smelled a trace of burnt marijuana from my car, called the cop on duty, and I was subsequently pulled over. Upon searching the car the cop found my bowl and about a quarter ounce of marijuana. I admitted to him it was mine and i had smoked out of it prior that night. I was then charged with illegal transportation of drugs by a minor, use of drug paraphenalia, and posession of a usable amount of marijuana. Upon recently inspecting the summonses, I noticed that under license plate, he wrote my registration number, and under my registration number, he wrote my license plate number. He did this on all three summonses. I was wondering if this was worth pleading not guilty over... I mean, a completely incorrect license plate number is shown on my summons, right? Does that mean I'm off the hook?

Default Re: Incorrect information on 3 summonses

Q: Does that mean I'm off the hook?

A: No.

Default Re: Incorrect information on 3 summonses

Don't expect to get out of any trouble because of clerical errors.

Default Re: Incorrect information On A Summons

Thanks for the short and sweet answer, but it seems to me like you are either a jerk and thought one word would keep me quiet, or you don't know the answer WHY, which is what I need to know. This isn't JUST a clerical error, like my name was spelled wrong or the color of my hair is dirty blond instead of blond. These are summonses for a conviction with a license plate that is completely different from the one I was driving that night. If I go in, take a picture of my car's license plates, and say that I am not sure who these summonses are for, but they aren't for me, this isn't my license plate... i dunno, it makes sense to me, I would just wish you could give me a reason why that wouldn't work.

Default Re: Incorrect information On A Summons

It is just a clerical error, and it doesn't affect anything in relation to your name, identity, or your possession of marijuana. You can try to raise this mistake as a defense if you wish; just don't expect to get anywhere with it.

Default Re: Incorrect Information On A Summons

alright, thats what i figured. Oh, and I might just go in and see the DA and point it out, hell it may even get me out of some of my fine, who knows. Thanks guys

1. Sponsored Links