Default Minor car accident on campus

I was pulling out from parking lot, but went too far on to a road, so I backed up. Suddenly I felt that I hit something. It was a car, but I didn't notice it. When I got out from my car, I had 2 small scratches on a rear bumper, and another car had a rear tag (sorority sign) bumped inward, but no scratches. I mad a picture on a cell phone of the car immediately. Than we decided to exchange our information, and before doing so the other person asked me to sign a paper where I would say that I backed up and hit the car, that it is my fault and that I acknowledge it. I refused to do so, and asked to call a campus police. When police came, an officer gave us information cards to fill out; we exchanged those cards, and the officer left. No police report was made. I don't know if I must inform my insurance company about this minor accident? What should I do if that person will try to claim that I damaged her car? How can I prove that her car really did not have any scratches (except it is an old car, so it had some scratches already)? Thank you!

Default Re: Minor car accident on campus?

Quote Quoting knopka555
    I don't know if I must inform my insurance company about this minor accident?
    If you're not making a claim, it is unlikely that you are under any duty to report the incident. (You can check your policy language to be sure.)

Quote Quoting knopka555
    What should I do if that person will try to claim that I damaged her car? How can I prove that her car really did not have any scratches (except it is an old car, so it had some scratches already)?
    If she tries to claim damage, you can pass along the claim to your insurance company. You can use your picture to dispute any exaggerated claims of damage, and if necessary can try to find witnesses to the prior condition of the car. Since the police came, their report will likely also indicate the extent of any damage.

But i did not see that the officer would make a report.

1. Sponsored Links