Unhappy Speeding Ticket in Washington With An Out-of-State License

I got cited for 70 on 60 mph road in WA State (Hwy 26, soon after getting on to it Eastbound from I-90). There was a passing lane, and I was actually overtaking another car (with the intentions of going on a cruise after passing him). The cop said the other car was already going fast, and hence I had no need to overtake, since there were two lanes. He claimed he clocked me at 78 mph on his radar, but cited me only for 70 mph.

What makes this ticket interesting is my driving license though. I used to live in North Carolina before moving to WA in August 2004, and I still have my NC license (valid till April 2008). My car is registered in WA though. I have no violations on my NC record currently - the last speeding ticket was in 2001, and I know that they keep these things in record only for three years. When the cop asked me for license and registration, I pulled my license out of my wallet, and reached for the registration in the glove compartment. By mistake, I handed him the old registration card from NC (it expired in 2005), but the cop did not question it! I realized this mistake only after he gave me back the ticket+license+registration. The cop of course could see my number plate, and may be he pulled up the car on his computer, may be not. He put my old NC address (in my license and in the expired registration) on the ticket, which makes me want to think that he did not check my car license plate on his computer (my current WA registration has my current address as well).

So, here is my question. Should I just pay the fine ($113), and hope that the powers-that-be will not keep it on the records, since its an NC driver's license? I was planning to get my WA driver's license soon. Will I start with a "clean slate" when I get my WA license? Or is it the case that they will track me down using my car number plate (registration) or address, and add the ticket/points on to my WA license record once I get it?

Or should I go to court and try to get a deferment, or seek some other kind of reduced citation instead? I also found out that I'm long overdue for getting my WA license (30 days is apparently the time within which I have to get my WA license after moving here). If I go to court, will they find this detail out, and cite me for another violation?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Default Re: Speeding ticket in WA with NC license

I would go ahead and get your WA license. Then it is up to you about the fine. You can request a mitigation hearing or a deferment and they will probably reduce. If you get lucky NC will not bother sending it back to WA since it is only a 10mph ticket.

1. Sponsored Links