Angry Seller's Rights After A Land Contract

I have sold my home via land contract. However, I have been too lenient with the buyers. They were short winter taxes, home owners insurance, and HOA dues for a couple of months. I paid these items with their understanding that they needed to pay me back. Now they are divorcing. I have bent over backwards for them to help them get on their feet and now they will probably move out. Can I sue them for the back taxes and other items? Does the land contract obligate them to anything?

I am asking from Michigan

Default Re: Seller's Rights After A Land Contract

You can commence forfeiture or foreclosure of the land contract, and sue to try to recover the money you advanced.

Question Re: Seller's Rights After A Land Contract

I sold my condo via a land contract in August of 2004. All was well for a few years. As of April 2007, I have sent 3 notices of default for nonpayment of property taxes and HOA fees. Currently, the "buyer" has not paid the mortgage since May. I made the June payment so that I was able to get a car loan through my credit union, Aurgroup. The last time I spoke with the buyer in July he assured me that all would be brought up to date by July 22nd. I was told by my lawyer that I couldn't evict because the buyer has more that 20% equity in the property at this point. She also advised me to allow Aurgroup to file for foreclosure. Of course this foreclosure would affect MY credit, not the buyers'. At the same time, my credit score is continuing to decline because he's not making the mortgage payments. Aurgroup told me about 1 month ago that they were going to file foreclosure. Still nothing. My question is this... When this land contract comes "due" on August 4, 2009, what happens if/when the buyer is unable to refinance the mortgage into his name? Will the property return to me along with all the debt he's incurred? None of this seems fair. I'm a single school teacher who HAD excellent credit. I already owe my lawyer $700 for advice and notices of default. To be honest, I'm afraid to call her again. It just costs too much. Please help.

1. Sponsored Links