Default Daugher Involved in Accident Without Insurance, in Michigan

Hello, my stepdaughter who doesnt live at my home backed into another vehicle in a store parking lot here in Michigan. She didnt have insurance at the time. She convinced the other party not to call the police and file a report. Recently she received a letter from the insurance company of the other party requesting information (her insurance company name and phone number, agent name, policy number, vehicle Identification Number, and her signature) along with a warning that if she is uninsured, there may be fines/suspension etc. She spoke to a family attorney who gave her a quick answer. The attorney suggested that she respond to the insurance company and ask for the police report number(basically fishing to she if the other party filed a report after the fact) along with the estimate to repair the other party vehicle. Personally, I am not sure if I agree with the approach as such a response would admit responsibility.
    Any suggestions on how to proceed from here? Thanks

Default Re: Daugher Involved in Accident Without Insurance, in Michigan

Leaving aside for the moment the fact that she is responsible, how would following the lawyer's advice constitute an admission of responsibility?

since she is admittedly guilty, she may very well have to defend herself in court. Is she willing to lie to avoid paying the damages?

She is at fault, she has total liability for any damages caused. If the other parties insurance company does cover the damages of the other vehicle, they will have no qualms suing your stepdaughter to recover their costs. If the other insurance company does not pay out any claims, then the other driver surely has every right to sue for the damages.

and yes, there are penalties for not having insurance plus she will probably have to buy insurnance from the insurance pool at a higher than typical cost.

Mr Knowitall and JK, thanks for the reply back. I agree that she is responsible, and my wife and I have lectured her continuously about not having insurance. Due to her financial situation she has taken the easy route and has been driving without insurance. My understanding is the other party had their vehicle repaired by the insurance company. While I realize that this situation is self-induced, I am trying to advise her on how to best approach this matter as I know she has severe financial problems as it is.

the problem with trying to save a buck by not purchasing insurance is that it quickly becomes more expensive to not have it if caught.

between the higher cost of "pool" insurance and the fines that accompany the illegal driving, there is the possibility of a suspended license.

I believe, if I read the statutes correctly, if found liable for the damage in court, if the judgement is not paid off within 30 days, her license and registration can be suspended until the judgement is paid off.

Not really a savings in the long run.

Since the insurance company did pay for the damage, they more than likely will seek repayment from your stepdaughter. She can deny all she wants but when the insurance company sues who they believe is at fault, the judge will decide and place liability.

All that is seperate of what the state can do.

1. Sponsored Links