Default Falsely Accused of Fraud and Identity Theft

Greetings, all. I am in desperate need of help.

The scorned, soon-to-be ex-wife of my significant other is charging he and I both of fraud. The two are legally separating and have been estranged for a couple of years now. Here are the details...

I work for a cell phone company. When my significant other and I began dating back in December, he said he was going to sign up for service with the company I work for. One day at work, still new on the job and too curious for my own good, I tried to look him up to see if he'd signed up, typing in his last name. I didn't get his account, I got his wife's.

I relayed the story to him later. His wife caught wind of it later on, called the cell phone company, and accused me of trying to make changes to her account/add new lines of service/etc. Of course, the latter wasn't the case at all. I told my company what actually happened, the evidence supports it, and I was eventually cleared (after a thorough investigation, upon speaking with her, me, and looking through her account) of any wrong-doing involving her account. I was admonished for trying to look up an account of someone I knew, as I should have been, but that was it. Issue closed. The executives who investigated have all assured me that I have the full support of the company.

Fast forward to April...my boyfriend has moved away from the area his wife lives in and in with me - starting a new job and continuing the divorce process down here. She begins harassing us via telephone/making threats. I report her to the authorities every time she does. In response, she is NOW charging me of fraud and my boyfriend is now an accomplice as well. She is also saying I have her SSN and am trying to open lines of credit in her name. This is, of course, completely untrue, and there is NOTHING of that sort that can be directly linked back to my boyfriend or I.

All three of us have a hearing on Tuesday Aug 7th where my boyfriend and I will present evidence of harassment/threats (phone records, blog entries to show threats of violence) and she will present "evidence" of fraud, of which she cannot have anything legitimate. It seems extremely clear that this is her way of punishing us.

Even if she manufactures something, it can't possibly be legitimate, and can't be linked back to us. It's a witch hunt for her.

Advice?

Default Re: FALSELY accused of fraud, must appear in court TOMORROW. HELP!

What type of hearing is this, and in what state?

Default Re: Falsely Accused of Fraud and Identity Theft

The prosecutor's office stated they are simply going to hear evidence - her's of fraud, mine of harassment/menacing. So, an evidentiary hearing, I guess? We're in Ohio.

Also - she's running her mouth telling everyone we will be arrested as soon as we get to the courthouse tomorrow. I take it that's not a possibility without at least this hearing first??

This is a meeting with the prosecutor, or some type of court hearing? If you're not sure what's even happening, get a lawyer.

Yes, it's a meeting with the prosecutor to hear both sides of the story. They said they need to "decide who to charge, if anyone". Sorry I wasn't more specific. My boyfriend and I have a lawyer. I don't know if she does.

She's going to tell the prosecutor he and I should be charged with fraud and present her 'evidence'. We're going to tell the prosecutor that she should be charged with harassment/menacing and present our evidence. The prosecutor will take it from there and decide how to act next.

1. Sponsored Links