Unhappy Emancipation in Indiana

I am 15 and i am living in the state of indiana.My dad past away when i was 12.I am currently living with my mom and her boyfriend.My mom yells at me all the time for absolutely nothing.She always puts me down and talks bad about me to other family members.I am never good enough.She always calls me immature and when i ask her how i am immature she tells me to shut up and go away.I have to do her laundry and she will call me home from a friends house just to clean.From my dad passing away i get a check every month from the social security office.I never see a dime of that check. I am a cheerleader and i am in gymnastics but my mom wants me to get a job to pay her back. Im in need of school clothes and i asked my mom if i can get some this year and she said she dont have the money.I know she is lying because she just bought my sister a car and my sister is 18 and on her own.And my sister didnt need a car because about two weeks later she bought herself another one.My mom always has money to do things for my sister but when it comes to me i have to figure out a way to get things myself because my mom says she is broke.Do you think that there is a way that i could get emancipated? I have another place to live and i have an income so is emancipation an option for me?PLEASE HELP!

Default Re: emancipation

Quoting aaron:

Emancipation occurs by age when a minor reaches the age of majority, which in Indiana is 18.

Indiana has no emancipation statute, but it may nonetheless be possible to convince a juvenile court to grant emancipation where the court finds:
    1. The petitioning minor wishes to be free from parental control and protection and no longer requires control and protection;

2. The petitioning minor understands the consequences of being free from parental control and protection

3. The petitioning minor has sufficient money for the child's own support; and
    4. The petitioning minor has an acceptable plan for independent living.

Few states permit emancipation before age 16 and, generally speaking, few petitions for emancipation are granted.

If the girl is being physically abused, she may be able to get help from protective services.

Living with someone else is not a plan for independent living. You must be able to prove you can pay your own rent, food, utilities, etc. I doubt the income from your dad's social security would be enough to cover all of your expenses. And you must be able to prove it will be in your best interest to be on your own at 15 (which will be VERY DIFFICULT to do). Based on the info you have provided, you DO NOT qualify for emancipation.

panther10758 Guest

Even without a statute the only state to allow a 15 year old emancipation is California and thats pretty much resevered for child actors and pro Atheletes

California and Louisiana, as I recall.

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: Emancipation in Indiana

Taken from another post:

Quoting Art. 385. Emancipation of minor sixteen years or older.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A minor sixteen years of age or older may be judicially emancipated and relieved of the disabilities which attach to minority as provided in Articles 3991 through 3994 of the Louisiana Code of

Lousiana has a number of statutes,
    Quote Quoting Art. 366. Emancipation by notarial act
    The minor, although not married, may be emancipated by his father or, upon the death of the father, by his mother or, in the event of divorce or separation from bed and board, by the natural tutor or cotutors acting jointly, when he shall have arrived at the full age of fifteen years. ...

"And you must be able to prove it will be in your best interest to be on your own at 15 (which will be VERY DIFFICULT to do). "

I meant to type 16 but didn't catch my error until it was too late to edit.

1. Sponsored Links