Default Yucca Trees Growing Across Property Line

I live in California. My next door neighbor has two very large (30 ft tall) yuccas planted on the fence line along with privets (planted by the birds).

When we first moved in to the house, the fencing on that side of the yard was probably the best. However, over the past 8 years, the yuccas have grown in width and started to push in to the fence. Just about 2 months ago, the fencing boards and posts have started to buckle under the pressure of the yuccas and now we can see in to the neighbors yard. I don't think the fence will last through the winter.

We have taken a first step by contacting the homeowner with a letter. The homeowners are elderly and physically impaired. The homeowner doesn't actually live in the house. The daughter of the homeowner is occupying the residence at this time (along with a bunch of other people).

Since I have taken the first step in contacting the homeowner, what recourse do I have if the fence does fall during the winter? Are there other steps that I should take? I don't want to pay for a fence I didn't destroy.

Default Re: Yucca Trees Growing Across Property Line

You'll know your next step after you get a response to your letter. If no response at all, then contact the tenant daughter and show her the problem and ask if she can get in touch with her parents, advising that the yuccas should be cut down (if she agrees with you - and she probably doesn't care one way or the other). Problem is, it will be expensive to have those yuccas cut and the roots ground out so that won't come back, and hopefully not damage the fence in the process. You could get a couple estimates for the cost and offer to split it with them. Given that they're elderly and not on the premises, you might have to take the reins on this, and it might cost you too, but that approach may foster their cooperation.

Default Re: Yucca Trees Growing Across Property Line

I have already by-passed the daughter (by sending the letter to her parents directly). We don't get along (the daughter and I), never have, never will. She does no maintenance on the home. Just the other day, another neighbor went over and mowed her yard.

I have had no response on the letter and the yuccas are starting to break open the fence. Each day I see a new board that is coming lose. Some have even broken under the weight of the yuccas. There was a terrible wind just Sunday and I am sure there is damage from that. Like I said, the fence probably won't make the winter.

1. Sponsored Links