Default How Much Content Must You Change to Void a Copyright

Hi,

I was informed of the dubious notion that a 30% change to anyones copyrighted material, classifies as a new material. What if any validity does this hold?

It sounds like the seven second sample rule for music which turned out completely bogus.

W

Default Re: 30% Change & Copyright

Quote Quoting wasabi
    I was informed of the dubious notion that a 30% change to anyones copyrighted material, classifies as a new material. What if any validity does this hold?
    It holds none. There is no magic number, and if the person thinks they can steal 70% of somebody else's work... they may well find a DMCA notice coming their way.

There is some information on fair use on the ExpertLaw site, if you are interested in the actual rules for using somebody else's copyrighted material.

Default 30% Change

Hi,

I've no desire to plagarize. However, this potential client wanted an identity package designed with a slight change to an exsisting franchise color scheme and name.

He pitched this dubious woo, about a 30% change being legal. I broke out in a rash and decided to post.

Thanks, I'l consider if I need the work that bad.
    W

If you are thinking of copying "look and feel", the issues are somewhat different from copyright alone, and may include issues of trade dress. If not, at least in relation to copyright, it's easier to emulate or expand upon somebody else's ideas than it is to copy, for example, their text. But you still can't copy, and there's still no "magic number".

Default 30% Change

Hi,

I agree, there is vast difference in being inspiried and influenced by than stealing intellectual property. I've since decided suggesting this client seek another designer.

Thanks for confirming my doubt.

1. Sponsored Links