Default Not Shoplifting and Civil Lawsuits

During our vacation in Miami 2 weeks ago, we were shopping in a major department store and two security offices went to my brother and told him that he had to go with them because he stole something. They took him too the back of the store, took a picture of him, made a copy of his ID and showed him the surveillance footage where shows that he supposedly stole something. In the tape it was not clear if he grabbed something. After that they asked him to empty his pockets. They didnt find anything and let him go. Note that the cops were not called.

My brother also told them that he was there on vacation and they asked him for his home adress which he gave.

Now yesterday we received a letter from a company in Orlando representing the store asking us to pay USD 200 in order to avoid a civil lawsuit. My mother said she will pay the USD 200 in order to avoid problems but my question is:

Is this normal in the states? I mean even if you are innocent, can they still start a civil lawsuit against you?

Default Re: Not Shoplifting and Civil Lawsuits

You went back into thse security room also, saw the tape yourself, and were with your brother the whole time he was back there? Or are you relying upon what he is telling you?

Quote Quoting aaron
    View Post
    You went back into thse security room also, saw the tape yourself, and were with your brother the whole time he was back there? Or are you relying upon what he is telling you?
    A shrewd question!!

panther10758 Guest

If he can "peove" he did not steal. Then he has a good reason to fight the Civil Demand charge. However you are relying on his word alone! You might want to face the fact he did indeed steal and got off pretty cheap.

1. Sponsored Links