Exclamation California Car Accident with No Insurance and a Mentally Unstable Driver

I have a serious problem. My family's house in Riverbank, California was just foreclosed on because we couldn't make the payments and just as we got set up in a rental house, my son, who is emotionally unstable and in special ed classes got in a car accident without insurance. We don't know whose fault it was, but my son claims that the driver came into his lane without signaling. The other driver says that it was my son's fault because my son sped up into him when he was signaling to change lanes and the other driver has a witness. I haven't been able to afford to make our insurance payments for the last month and I don't know what to do because our car's transmission is destroyed and the other driver claims that his bills are going to run into the four thousand mark. No one was hurt thankfully, but I can't afford to pay for the other driver's repairs, let alone my own. My son gave the police our old insurance card, but the other driver knows that we don't have insurance. We haven't actually filled out anything for the DMV, and we are still waiting for the police report, but I am confident that the report will say that it was my son's fault. My son is threatening suicide again and I need to know if the police or someone will take his mental condition into account. He shouldn't be driving to begin with, but he is out of control and steals the keys from me when I forbid him to drive. I need help before my family loses everything we have left. Please respond with your suggestions as quickly as possible.

Default Re: California Car Accident with No Insurance and a Mentally Unstable Driver

You need to hide your keys better; disable the car if you must.

Default Re: California Car Accident with No Insurance and a Mentally Unstable Driver

I'm sorry, but I was hoping for something a little more like what I can do legally, specific to my situation. My son has disabled the car already, seeing as how the transmission is poking out of the hood. Anyone have any ideas as to what I can do now? I can't afford to pay for the other driver's damages and I can't get a loan because my credit was ruined by the foreclosure.

Well, with any luck the driver of the other vehicle will report to the DMV that your son was driving with no insurance and they will then suspend his license. Then, if you were the owner of the car and knowing that your son has the ability to steal your keys and you knowing that he's mentally instable, they will then sue you for the damages (or his insurance company will) and when you don't pay the judgment, they will hand the judgment into the DMV and they will then in turn suspend YOUR license for unsatisfied judgment. I would suggest that you get 2 jobs and have sonny get a couple of more jobs and work out payment arrangements to get that other driver's car back on the road.

If you are unable to pay the car insurance, please do the rest of us responsible Californians a favor and don't allow anyone to drive the car. I'm sure that the other driver probably doesn't have 4K+ sitting around to fix their car either.

I agree. Since there was no ins. on your car (neither you or your son had ins.), the other driver or other driver's ins. co. will sue for payment of damages.

1. Sponsored Links