Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Default Re: 'Right to Work' and Right to Employment

As long as you can see my point, I'll drop it here. We can respectfully disagree.

Quote Quoting deadlock
    View Post
    Thank you. I did not catch that when I first read your statement.
    It is a very complex system and I can only say that I received much more as a member of a union for federal employers than I could have imagined.

There are many issues that make being a professional and a union member complicated, like a walk-out. I never experienced that as a union member. As a non-union member, required as a manager in a state institution (I was not able to be a part of a bargaining unit) I was faced with a walk out and taking care of 28 patients by myself.

Daniel has not returned so I have no idea what he meant by saying
    I was only making a satirical analogy and contrasting it with actual legal principles.

Quote Quoting moburkes
    View Post
    Where did the OP go?
    Where did Mo go??

Quote Quoting deadlock
    View Post
    Where did Mo go??
    Looking for Larry and Curly?

Quote Quoting cissycicle
    View Post
    Looking for Larry and Curly?
    Thought she lost her "MoJoe".

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post

Do you really think so? I work around many union and non-union tradesman. I see many of the non-union tradesman coerced to perform unsafe actions and fear loss of employment should they protest. Many companies I see are eliminating benefits left and right totally at the employers discretion. Most of you have seen the abuse of workers in terms of lack of respect in areas such as at least some minimal notification of overtime, no lunch periods, or ever and always changing work rules. A CBA simply puts rules in place so everybody is aware of what the rules are. An employer cannot simply walk up and say, "well, today, you are not going to get lunch" or " I need you to go out and buy $5000 worth of tools so you can continue to work. I am tired of buying the tools required for me to be a contractor" and such. It is not only safety and benefits but it affords a modicum of respect for the employee.

I have seen how quickly an employer can revert to the old standards, even if it is still illegal. Without the contnued fight of the unions, I have no doubt the American way of life would erode very quickly (like it isn;t already).
    A form of at-will unemployment could reduce the need for the protection of a union. From a purely economic perspective, reducing the number of couch potatoes actively competing for employment should increase the demand for the remaining (more motivated or efficient) labor market participants.

This type of policy can also reduce the incentive for less efficient forms of providing for the general Welfare, since it would be at-will.

danielpalos;123421]A form of at-will unemployment could reduce the need for the protection of a union. From a purely economic perspective, reducing the number of couch potatoes actively competing for employment should increase the demand for the remaining (more motivated or efficient) labor market participants.
    How naive can you be. First, this idea of your at-will unemployment simply not a realistic idea. Americans (can't speak for other nations) tend to be a lazy group of people. Not to knock all of them but in a great sense, they are lazy. If you were willing to simply pay a person whenever they want to not work, you would have so many applicants that those left working would never be able to sustain the payments to the leaches.

Now, the at-will unemployment will cause a lot of problems very similar to what communism in the USSR did. To the lower paid classes, there will be no incentive to work. In the USSR it was because they effectively could not be fired so they had no incentive to do a good job. In your utopia, those that are simply not paid enough or did not like their boss one day, or had an arguement with the spouse that morning, would simply quite work as long as they knew they could collect your at-will unemployment. In either case, ther is no dedication to your employment because there is no real incentive to work hard. So, in your world, you will pay them more, but where is this money coming from. Market economics tend to set prices and wages, not the individual employer. Unless the market will allow this increase in wages, we will still have a minimum wage type situation.

This type of policy can also reduce the incentive for less efficient forms of providing for the general Welfare, since it would be at-will.
    Ya, like our current welfare system? Those that know how to play the game do quite well (at least as far as their intent) making our welfare system an at-will situation rather than a need based system.

IT WON'T WORK, Daniel.

Your response appears to be a cut and paste repetitive response.

Please investigate how our Federal Government already has in place in system to effectively manipulate the economy with the workforce.

You have a theory but don't know how to explain it or how it would work to improve anything or change anything in place.

The topic that you have selected to develop lacks any real statistics.

I asked about experience with the Constitution in that it doesn't appear you understand civil rights, unions, and how they effectively prevent someone from being wrongfully terminated.

I am not suggesting someone isn't wrongfully terminated. But there are those persons who are too lazy to use the system in place.

Welfare is a program used to supplement persons income for those at poverty level. It never was or currently is a program to support people not working. No one could exist on the maximum Wefare benefits.

good job!!!!

1. Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast