Default Co-owner Of A House Remains On Mortgage After Bankruptcy

My ex-friend and his spouse and my spouse agree to bought a house 9.5 years ago but it came a time the other parties can’t make the mortgage payment. My spouse and I decided to file bankruptcy (chapter 7) to clear our debts for the house and it was discharge thru the help of the attorney. After 9.5 years of hardship and rebuilding our credits we tried to apply again for a loan to start new but our loan officer told us that our names showed up that we still owed money from the mortgage company with our (ex)co-owner. I thought filing Chapter 7 will wipe out all our debts. Can anyone tell me why our names still in the report, maybe the other party didn’t file bankruptcy? I tried to call our lawyer but I haven't not have a luck to talk to him since he moved out to a different state. I have been trying to contact another lawyer in my state trying to get assesment and advice but I need to get this thing done as soon as possible to clean our names.

Thank you so much!

Default Re: Co-owner Of A House Remains On Mortgage After Bankruptcy

A mortgage is a secured debt, and thus is not normally subject to discharge in bankruptcy. Was there a foreclosure?

I believe the other parties file a foreclosure on their part. How difficult does this situation if I am going to seek help from a lawyer and request from the lender to clear our names? Does it affect our credit score!

If the mortgage was not discharged in bankruptcy, the debt remains. I am unable to guess what happened, so I do suggest following up with your lawyer.

1. Sponsored Links