Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Preparing for Emancipation

Well I would like some advise on emancipation from people that have been emancipated or have dealt with it in some way...I am only 15 with no job (the only jobs that hire around here are 16+,If anyone knows a place to look for jobs or any jobs for my age range please let me know!) I'm thinking about emancipation and getting really anxious...I'm thinking when I'm 16 I'll start filling out forms and stuff once I get a job..well as for my reasons for getting emancipated:
    1.I'm gay and not at all accepted by my parents or family and am treated as If I have no feelings.

2.I'm going to be kicked out at 18 since I won't do what my parents want me to do which is to not be me...so instead of being kicked out I would rather be an adult and leave early and start living my life...

3. I have already calculated how many hours a 16 year old minor can work in California and how much minimum wage is an hour and have figured out how much many I can make a month and it Is enough for renting a studio apartment.

4.At 15 and 1/2 I get my permit and at 16 I should have my license so I can drive myself to school and wherever I need to go.

5.I have big hopes for the future and plan to go to many different colleges studying a variety of things but In my current living condition I am not allowed to practice or study these things.

My parents only care what others think -bottom line- so they refuse to let me express myself or feel comfortable with myself..I feel emancipation will let me move on with my life and make me not feel so depressed all the time..because I will finally be able to be me..
    So help anyone? Who can I get to help me fill out my forms? Can I just move out and find an apartment or do I HAVE TO GET MY PARENTS CONSENT TO MOVE OUT...which would defeat the whole purpose of me trying to get emancipated...so advise..

Default Re: Preparing for Emancipation..

Like about 98% of the kids who post on these forums, you misunderstand the purpose of the emancipation laws.

They are not and never were designed to allow you to leave home. They were and are designed to provide legal protection to those kids who, through no fault of their own, find themselves homeless.

I think it highly unlikely, under the circumstances you have described, that emancipation would be granted.

You may have that mind concept but what your saying makes no sense..If a child is left in a situation they have not asked for emancipation so therefore cannot be emancipated.

"They are not and never were designed to allow you to leave home. They were and are designed to provide legal protection to those kids who, through no fault of their own, find themselves homeless."

How are they not designed for you to leave home??? Part of the emancipation agreement is that you must be living away from your parents (that is leaving home obviosly)

I cannot believe you view emancipation as only suitable for homeless kids...the whole point of emancipation is the child going to court and filling everything out because THEY WANT IT. Kids who end up homeless are not forced to get emancipated they choose too like other kids who would like to be an adult and make there own decisions..now I didnt ask for your opinion on If my case was good for court...I was asking for help on how to fill out my forms and such...so please do not start judging me by saying I am like 98% of the people..

Yes, part of the agreement is that you must be living away from home. That's true.

But what you are failing to grasp is that the emancipation laws do not exist to GET you out of the house. They are designed so that if you are ALREADY living out of the house, you have legal protection.

Emancipation is not based on want. It is based on need. 99% of kids who apply for emancipation will be turned down.

yes you have a valid point but as you say "what you fail to grasp" is that my intentions are to find out how to make a good case not to have you tell me that I will most likely be turned down because thats giving up and I would like TO TRY before giving up all hope. Theres also more to my story then I am telling because It is personal but IT has to do with physical abuse.

If you are being physically abused, you need to call CPS. It will not affect your chances of emancipation.

In California, generally speaking, you can emancipate even though you are still living with your parents if "[y]our parents don't mind if you move out" (and you meet the other requirements to emancipate). Details are here.

Default Re: Preparing for Emancipation

well how will I prove If I have been abused..Physical abuse hasn't occured for a few months but emotional abuse is part of my everyday life..and the physical abuse was more then slapping It was also choking and I was threatened that I would be killed If I called the cops...so I don't know how to prove it because my whole family will deny It and say I was under the influence of drugs..

If you are using drugs, your odds of emancipation are extremely low under any circumstances. If you have no evidence of abuse, and have not made any contemporaneous reports of abuse, it will be very difficult to prove abuse.

I don't and never have done drugs! I would be willing to take any form of drug test...What I was saying was my family would say I was under the influence of drugs so they could deny the abuse.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast