Default Girlfriend's Ex Wants To Establish Paternity Despite My Being The Legal Father

Note: This is/will be taking place in Pennsylvania. My girlfriend had a child in May, and her ex is trying to get rights to the child. We have been together for three years, and we both believed the child to be mine. However, she was with her ex once, and it turns out he is the child as he persuaded her to get a paternity test. Now, since we both originally thought I was his father, I signed the Acknowledgement of Paternity and the Birth Certificate, and the child has my last name. I want to be the father, I was there from the beginning and we both want the child to be raised with me being the father legally. What I need to know is what steps the biological father can take to get rights to the child. In Pennsylvania, a person has 60 days to contest the Paternity Acknowledgement, as far as I know. But I am sure there are ways to go about it past that, as the 60 days have expired. We want to be able to protect my standing as the childs legal father, and avoid him having anything to do with him. I know he has the paternity test, but he has not done anything through the courts as of yet to fight it. BUT I am sure he will. Is there anything he can do? If someone could provide me with all his options, so we know what we will be up against, it would be greatly appreciated. I know normally that with pennsylvania laws, its very hard to get the Acknowledgement overturned, but I am sure its possible. I dont have a large amount of money for legal representation, but want to be able to keep my son.

Default Re: Girlfriend's Ex Wants To Establish Paternity Despite My Being The Legal Father

In your other thread you indicated that she lived with her ex- for a month. They were only intimate once in that time? And the projected date of conception was so close to when she moved in with him that you were confident that you were the biological father? I suspect things aren't quite as clear as you now suggest.

There is no official version of the Pennsylvania statutes available for free online, and the most complete free version hasn't been updated for a few years, so if you wish to know the current state of Pennsylvania law you should consult a family lawyer.

1. Sponsored Links