Default Car Towed From Airport Parking Garage

I parked in the St. Louis Lambert main terminal parking for a trip to China. The trip was extended. I called the Parking lot 3 months after i parked there, (before they towed it) and they said it would be no problem they would not tow it. i could leave as long as I needed. I have this conversation recorded. I made another call to them the day before it was towed. (June 19) They again told me it would be fine and there would be no problem. Then i had them check the plate and they said it was not in their inventory. I finally found out they had towed it and it was destroyed by a salvage yard within 20 days. They also told me that I was sent a certified letter to my home of course. Does the parking garage have any liability for my car? If so can the tapes be used as evidence that I contacted them and was told that the car would not be towed. I didnt advise them that i was recording the call.

Default Re: Car Towed From Airport Parking Garage

Was it towed before or after your first call? What notices are posted in relation to parking in the lot, and limits on the duration of parking?

No notices are posted and I was told there was not a time limit to park there. The Parking Garage claims they thought the car was abandoned and sent a certified letter to my home. I made 2 calls concerning the vehicle before it was towed and was told both times that the garage will not tow.

I suspect there's more to this story that you're not telling us. I very much doubt that they would look, for example, at a late model car and think, "This has been abandoned", nor would such a car simply be towed and destroyed.

Obviously, at the time of the second call, the car had been towed - it wasn't on the lot at that time. Did you verify its presence by plate number when you called the first time?

Who signed for the letter sent to your home, and why didn't they tell you about it?

What was the year, make, model and condition of the car? What do you believe its market value to be? This may be something you can handle in small claims court. Missouri appears to be a "one party consent" case, so there shouldn't be a problem using the recording in court.

I keep thinking there has to be something wrong as well. I agree that it should not have been declared abandoned, but that is what they told me. The car is (or was) a 2000 Camry in good condition. The blue book is about $8300. But in a addition to the car value there was a very expensive wardrobe hanging in the back seat, which should have been another clue that the car was not abandoned. I think the loss is too high for small claims. So the fact that I didnt tell them the call was recorded shouldnt be a problem? I honestly doubt if the car was destroyed by the salvage yard. It was too valuable to crush and sell for scape metal. Maybe they took it apart to sell the parts, effectively making it disappear, but either is difficult to verify.

And no I did not verify the plate on the first call. Again, June 20th is the date I was told it was towed. I dont have any independent verification of that.

The letter at my home was not signed or received by anyone. I live alone and I was out of the country.

I believe the Missouri small claims limit is only $3,000. That's awkward, as it will be tough for you to litigate the case in a regular court without legal help, but lawyer fees could consume much of the verdict. I suggest consulting a local lawyer to see if there is a consumer law or similar law in your state which might permit you to recover legal fees if you prevail in a lawsuit.

1. Sponsored Links