Default Out of State Dad Needs Good Visitation Rights

Hi guys. Thanks so much for having a forum like this available to all.

My daughter is turning 5 next week. I haven't seen her for a year. I used to have her for about 2 weeks a year, usually a couple three or four day weekends, sometimes a week or more. Her mother & I set that up on our own. It was great, though I would've liked more time I was content. Lately, her mother has been changing, she's got 2 kids with a new boyfriend & no time for me. She basically has cut off most communication, except for a few emails, & will not agree to a time for me to pick up my daughter before school starts.

Now I want to take legal action, to put in place visitation rights & possibly custody, I know these are two major differences, but I need some legal guidance. Where to seek that help is the question. She lives in the tristate area, IL/MO/IA, the mailing address her mother gives me is in Illinois. I live in Missouri, about 6 hours away. Where do I apply for visitation rights? In Iowa? The state she was born in & the state her mother still gets child support from. In Illinois? the state she lives in now where a websearch shows NO custody/visitation lawyers in the vincinity! Or is this something I can claim right here in Kansas City? Please help, and thank you.

Default Re: Out of State Dad Needs Good Visitation Rights

How was paternity established in Iowa? Did the court which issued the child support order address custody, even if it was silent on visitation?

to the best of my knowledge the ruling was on child support only.

Check and find out. If custody was addressed, you should be able to bring the action in Iowa or, with a UCCJEA motion for transfer of jurisdiction, in Illinois (the children's current home state). Otherwise, litigation would appear properly placed in Illinois.

Question Re: Out of State Dad Needs Good Visitation Rights

Thanks Aaron. I am not asking for custody as of yet, but am decided on requesting visitation rights initially, which I suppose I should do in Illinois. I'd feel more comfortable getting representation, mostly to handle most issues without me physically being there, and even more so for helping me and my position being addressed fairly & to my benefit. Yet, I am concerned about the lack of quality lawyers practicing in the rather desolate county, even nearby small cities (Quincy, IL) do not seem to have any attorneys who specialize in the field.

1. Sponsored Links