Default Replacing Lost Vehicle Title

A few months ago my father gave me a van he had purchased due to me being upset my VW was towed. Well these past 12 or so years my father has had a turmochulus relationship with my stepmother. During another long period they weren't getting along she packed up all his stuff. My dad lost track of the title for the vehicle he gave me due to this. We havent found it still. The man he got it from for whatever eason receives two large government checks. If he were to have an increase in income he'd lose them. Thats why when he sales his automobiles he never signs the titles he simply buys the papers from past owners. He wants no paper trail in order to make it seem he has a low income. I attempted through carfax.com to find out who had their name on my car, they can't reveal. that info anymore due to some 1994 law. I tried to go to the man's house to figure out who he boughtit from but needless to say something shady was going on at his home and although i could tell somebody was home due to the lights/blinds upstairs flickering/bending, i or the other woman banging on his door could get anyone to come outside.So I was wondering if I could file for a lost title on itmyself or simply ask the clerk who's name its under?

Default Re: Replacing Lost Vehicle Title

You would have to check with your state's DMV.

does this even sound viable though? how do they know im not running a scam here? my friend says that if it doesnt come up stolen on the vin they want suspect but if you just choose any car at random well the owner want have a chance. If i cant get it changed where could i go to see whos name is on it? maybe a mechanic?

Laws are different in each state. You chose not to follow the instruction to identify your state. You will have to check with your state's DMV.

1. Sponsored Links