Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Legal Action Against a College Professor

The union represents the interests of their members (that is, they represent the professors). They don't discipline members for on-the-job problems. I don't know why somebody would suggest contacting the union.

I think the professor who suggested contacting the union thought they might look into their policy of defending tenured employees more closely. Although the professor that made the suggestion is tenured, he is constantly worried about being cut because he is a one man division. He is also an excellent professor. It's ridiculous the way in which a horrendous professor is defended and can do anything - while one who also has tenure but is a department himself is always worried about being fired. Of course, he might not have known exactly who to bring the issue to. I think his suggestion was just to bring the issue to light and to possibly cause the other professor some trouble. At this point, I think we would both be satisfied with just causing him trouble because as you all have stated, it doesn't look like we have much legal recourse.

For future reference:

There is no cause of action to file a lawsuit. First, I go to a Community College myself and in the college policy if the professor is not at the class at the scheduled time; we are to wait 15 minutes and then assume the class has been cancelled. Even if the professor shows up after the fifteen minutes and students have left because of their late arrival; he will not be able to hold that absence against you. Maybe you should check out the college policy on this. Second, I am pretty sure that other students had problems similiar to the ones that are being experienced here. The whole class going to the Dean of the Department as opposed to one or two disgruntled students would have definetely sparked a red flag. I personally had a teacher removed from that Semester class due to calling me a liar in front of the whole class (without any just warrant; she thought i was a student from a previous semester, and kept referring to me as her and when i told her i did not take her class before; she called me a liar).

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2