Default Seeking legal advice for existing case

My husband hired an out of state attorney during his criminal case who appeared at two or three hearings then was asked by the judge to step down from the case because he wasn't licensed to practice in CA. Leading my husband (who speaks english as a second language) to believe that he had a full caseload and had time restrictions so he could not finish his case. Subsequently my husband hired a new attorney to finish his case and was advised by the judge to sue the out of state lawyer for a refund of his money. Since then my husband has an existing case against the lawyer that he has been handling pro per through a legal document sevice. Recently, the girl filing all the paper work was allegedly fired for stealing from the office where she was employed and as a result of this the owner / legal document assistant has taken over my husbands file and asked for 1500.00 to file a default court judgement which seemed excessive so upon looking around and getting other estimates we found that no other document assistant would take the case saying that it was out of their scope of practice and that we should seek help from a lawyer. My husband paid her one installment of 500.00 and signed the default package but she has not filed it, and says she needs the rest of the money first. My first question is, is 1500.00 reasonable for a default judgement court package preparation, secondly is she stepping beyond her scope of practice by not referring us tyo a lawyer, and thirdly what else is involved in a limited civil-general civil case after the default judgement is filed?

Default Re: Seeking legal advice for existing case

Quote Quoting luccescharm
    My first question is, is 1500.00 reasonable for a default judgement court package preparation, secondly is she stepping beyond her scope of practice by not referring us tyo a lawyer, and thirdly what else is involved in a limited civil-general civil case after the default judgement is filed?
    1. A non-appearance default can often be achieved by filing a standard court form. If that is the case, $1,500 would seem to be a high fee.

2. Maybe. Check with your state bar, which probably has a committee on the unauthorized practice of law.

3. If you obtain a default judgment, the next step is to try to collect the money awarded.

1. Sponsored Links