Default Age Discrimination and Job Performance

I work for a motel. I work with a woman whom I'd say is in her early 60's. The head house keeping superviser who is also the owner is constantly complaining to me about how slow she is. She told me that she tells people that if the woman doesn't start getting her rooms done faster that she will have to get rid of her. I inturn told her, that atleast she shows up for work when she is spose to! She isn't that slow! She gets her rooms done about 20 minutes after the rest of us do. There are times when we will have about 25 rooms each aday to do! The superviser will purposely try to humiliate this woman in front of the other housekeepers by making rude comments about how slow she is! I try and help her as much as I can to keep the superviser off her back! I feel really bad for her because she tries really hard to do a good job. She is the oldest housekeeper we have, so she is slower then the rest of us.I get soo tired of hearing the superviser complain to me about her!! Is this considered discrimination? I'm wondering if they thought when they hired her that she would move like superwoman considering her age!

Default Re: Person's age and discrimination question:

I forgot to add that I live in Missouri. Also, the superviser does make comments to me regarding her age like " she is too old"!

She can't be discriminated against just because of her age - ie terminated just because of her age. However, she can be terminated for failing to get her work done fast enough. Also, though the comments by the supervisor may be unprofessional, they are not illegal. It is not against the law to make rude comments about an employee.

Quote Quoting Betty3
    View Post
    She can't be discriminated against just because of her age - ie terminated just because of her age. However, she can be terminated for failing to get her work done fast enough. Also, though the comments by the supervisor may be unprofessional, they are not illegal. It is not against the law to make rude comments about an employee.
    Thanks Betty for the info!!!

Default Re: Age Discrimination and Job Performance

Agreed. It is not discrimination to hold her to the same standard as everyone else and discipline (or term) her if she does not meet performance standards. Illegal discrimination is treating someone differently BECAUSE OF a protected characteristic - it is not illegal discrimination to treat her exactly the same as everyone else in terms of job requirements.

1. Sponsored Links